Purpose of Primitive Wire Basket / Stand thing

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, Feb 4, 2016.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Picked this wire basket stand thing from the dumpster. Any idea of original purpose? What would you call it? It stands about 14" tall and is about 12" diameter. It seems that the sides of the basket would expand out some if it weren't so bent and rusty.
    primwire.jpg

2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Brad - I've seen similar used in "country" kitchens - for fruit, for vegetables, for eggs, and simply for on-the-counter or hanging decor.

I think yours may have looked like this one once upon a time:
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/84395173/vintage-french-wire-two-tiered-basket

They're saying it's from the 1970's, but I remember these more from the late 80's. I think that a number of places are still selling them new.

Bakersgma and scoutshouse like this.
  3. verybrad

That one is nearly identical. Would have thought it was older as rusty and beat up as mine is. Just the fact that there is another found so easily makes me think you are right.

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    They are from the 70s made from already "rusted steel". I have three or four real egg gathers from the turn of the century which these were based on. They collapse for storage but expand to fill with eggs. I use one for storage of potatoes in my garage during the winter.
    greg

scoutshouse likes this.
  5. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Me too!

--- Susan

gregsglass and scoutshouse like this.
  6. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

7. verybrad

I spent quite awhile looking at similar baskets last night. I only found two that really match mine. The first is is the one in the link that sbsvc provided above. Here is the other being offered as being French and old at a high price. It is identical to mine.
    [​IMG]

https://www.etsy.com/listing/235501...h_query=tiered fruit basket&ref=sr_gallery_36

The new ones that most closely match have a different spoke bottom to them and a different shape to the basket side wires. They are also constructed differently using some heavier gauge wire and welds rather than being all hand wrapped. Here is one of the newer ones.

[​IMG]

This shows the construction detail on another.
    [​IMG]

I don't know if any of this really makes a difference but, obviously, the one seller thinks so based on price. What say you?

tyeldom3 likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's a nice kitchen item....

9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Joanna Gaines would love it ! Id think it would make a nice plant stand myself .

Draft saved Draft deleted