Purple Amethyst Bowl Ruffle Rim Hand Blown Help ID maker and age

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mugzinnys, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

this bowl 1-IMG_6343.JPG 2-IMG_6344.JPG 3-IMG_6345.JPG 4-IMG_6346.JPG 5-IMG_6347.JPG 1-IMG_6343.JPG 2-IMG_6344.JPG 3-IMG_6345.JPG 4-IMG_6346.JPG 5-IMG_6347.JPG is 5 1/2" tall and has a 9" diameter

2. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

manganese is what turns the glass purple, amethyst is a stone or rock mineral . imo it looks fairly new and could have been made by any of the thousands of glass makers of today, with out a signature it is hard to guess.

3. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

How do you tell if the purple is from manganese added and not something else

scoutshouse likes this.
  4. lloyd249

American glass manufactured between 1860 and 1915 was made with manganese, which imbued the glass with an interesting trait; the glass turned purple when submitted to prolonged exposure to UV rays. Using sunlight to turn antique glass purple can be time-consuming, but you can speed the process up by using special UV lamps.
    i already new it but looked it up anyways, maybe one of our glass expert can or know of another way .

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    scoutshouse likes this.
  5. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Rose bowl. Possibly a Blenko - it appears to be around the right size:

Blenko Rose Bowls
    Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 3.19.10 PM.png

lloyd249 likes this.
  6. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

If you put enough manganese in glass, it will turn purple without irradiation. That's how glass manufacturers produce purple glass.

lloyd249 and scoutshouse like this.
  7. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Manganese was used to clarify crystal ie colorless glass in place of lead. That stopped when WW1 interupted the supply from Germany. The suns UV rays would tickle the manganese and cause a pale purple or amethyst color in the crystal glass. I do not know what chemical was used to give color to your purple vase. ( In the EU crystal has lead in it. The US makers used it to refer to color not chemical composition.) I agree an attractive recent bowl.

lloyd249 likes this.
  8. lloyd249

it is called amethyst glass as a generic name tho right ?

9. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Right.

lloyd249 likes this.
  10. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

The green one in the picture posted by Scoutshouse is possibly Blenko 947, however I am pretty sure the other one isn't Blenko, and I am doubtful yours is Blenko.

Blenko did make a couple of different pleated vases over the years, with differences in the pleating. The pleating on Blenko 947, which was made in 2 different sizes L and M, was produced in years that Blenko also produced Amethyst. 947L is close to the size of yours. However, the way several of the pleats are not straight and the general shape of the vase and pleats, makes me think it is probably not Blenko. Several glass makers who made glass similar to what Blenko produced also made pleated vases like this.

Here is a link to a catalog which shows Blenko 947, it's on page 21.

http://www.blenkoproject.org/1951

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
    cxgirl and lloyd249 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted