psiha - so that's we call it :) can you help me find the name for it

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Irenka, Nov 8, 2022.

1. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

DSC_4423 (Small).JPG DSC_4436 (Small).JPG DSC_4430-Recovered (Small).jpg DSC_4399 (Small).JPG
    Good morning!

Another day and another piece of furniture that i am clueless about... We call this type of furniture with mirror and some drawers "psiha". I was searching for something similar just to find the name, but the best i could find was chavel mirror or vanity mirror, which i dont think is wright... So because of that i have a little problem to figure it out which period it belong. It has some empire details, like handels and how the veneer is placed, but i am just not sure... with furniture i always seems to get it wrong :D so a little help from all of you will be really appreciate...again :)

Thanks to all and have a nice day!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
    judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

does it sit on a table or is it 5 feet tall..?

judy likes this.
  3. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

it really depends on the size. If diminutive, I would call it a toilet mirror.

judy likes this.
  4. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

Size is: 180cm or 70,8 inch in height so floor standing :)

What do you all think on that could be victorian in empire revival style ?

judy likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Cheval mirror or cheval glass refers to the mirror itself. With a chest of drawers it could have a different name.

Btw, psiha, is that related to Psyche? It reminds me of the Berthe Morisot painting "La Psyché", "The Psyche Mirror". I am probably overthinking it.:oops:

sabre123, judy and Irenka like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Empire Revival, but I don't know the period, we'd have to see more of the construction etc.:)

sabre123, judy and Irenka like this.
  7. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

Maybe ? I didnt even think of that but yes it could be from that... it is mainly so i thougt from the german word for it..because we where under Austro Hungarian empire and lot of words are adopted/germanized from them... for example Aschenbecher we call it ašnpehar :D and so it with psyche/psiha

I will try to take some pictures from inside and post it later

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

In German it is Spiegel (mirror), so that could be it.
    In Dutch it is spiegel, we don't do the capital letter thing for nouns, and the pronunciation is different, shorter vowel sounds, and we love a guttural 'g'.;) But we call this type of mirror "kapspiegel".
    :joyful: That is very much like Dutch origin words in Indonesian. For instance "baskom" from "waskom", old Dutch for wash basin.

sabre123 and Irenka like this.
  9. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

We would say Spiegel - špegu :D the real slovenian word for it is ogledalo, it is so interesting to think that history is so important in every aspect even in language, btw we slovenians are wery proud of our language because we couldnt use it legal long time but we surely do dismantle it in many ways unfortunatly

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

A dressing mirror, the base with drawers, in a simplified Directorie or Empire taste, probably 20th century (alternatively, low dressing table with full length mirror) and very nice looking, btw

Experticia and Acuracia are the latest buzzwords here, though there are perfectly good Spanish words for expertise and accuracy

11. Any Jewelry

Absolutely. In Dutch we have a lot of French and French-derived words (also swear words:D). We also have many Yiddish words, from the Ashkenazim Jewish community, and quite a few Malay words from Indonesia. All these language influences reflect our history and our culture.
    And you should be. Every language is valuable, it reflects a culture.
    Maybe the downside of globalisation?
    Something similar is happening here.
    Speaking Dutch properly takes a bit of work.;) Pronunciation is difficult for foreigners (that guttural sound:eek:), and it has more words than English, and often more complicated words. Many highly educated people don't even know the right epressions in Dutch, or use them for the wrong situations. They often prefer to use easier English terms (often botched:rolleyes:), and lose the wealth of expression of their own language.:(
    But, as my father used to say, even little children can speak Dutch!:hilarious:

Irenka likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Also the downside of globalisation?
    Slight typo, Directoire.:)
    Which is also used in Dutch for a ladies' undergarment.:oops: Great fun during history class.;)

Irenka likes this.
  13. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

unfotunatly we are a small country, there are only 2millions of us and Slovenian is very hard to learn too, because we are one of the few that use dual still and like in Dutch we have a lot more words than English - - we have like 10 different words for everything :D so nobody wants to learn it... and like in your country, Slovenians don't use Slovenian correctly either....like on south they don't even bother to use dual anymore...it is sad in some way because like you mentioned globalization, we already have so many germanized and italianized words here and in this days englized - i am not sure if i used this words wright:D hopefully we will appreciate it and left some original slovenian for our descendants... but in some way is helpful that our language isn't so wide spread so most of us speak 2 or 3 different foreign language :D

our historian teacher likes to said that history always repeats it self... it sure do here :D

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Yes, same here. A small country, although we are with more people than you are. 18 million people on a postage stamp.;) If we step off the postage stamp, we have to speak another language.
    Nations don't learn from history, politicians don't either.
    Btw, this is one of those expressions where we Dutch use the French language: "l'histoire se répète".

Irenka and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted