PROCLAMATION FOR OTTAWA CANADA REAL? QUEEN ELIZABETH SIGNATURE REAL?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, May 16, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I've had this a few months & actually forgot about it until I came across it again.I'm not sure if I found this at a local thrift store or an estate sale. It appears to be a proclamation for Ottawa (I read it & honestly am still not sure what it's about!) Canada & signed in pen by Queen Elizabeth herself + the attorney general(at top center under coat of arms)! As well as by Canada's prime minister & register general!

Is this real? Or just wall decor? Is that really Queen Elizabeth's signature? (It looks like ones I've looked up).

Thank you; I appreciate any help!
    AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT CANADA UEEN ELIZABETH PROCLIMATION 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT CANADA UEEN ELIZABETH PROCLIMATION 1BAAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT CANADA UEEN ELIZABETH PROCLIMATION 4AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT CANADA UEEN ELIZABETH PROCLIMATION 4A_AAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT CANADA UEEN ELIZABETH PROCLIMATION 3AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT CANADA UEEN ELIZABETH PROCLIMATION 3AAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT CANADA UEEN ELIZABETH PROCLIMATION 8AA.jpg

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Patriation of the Canadian Constitution in 1982.

Have to assume it's a print.

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/constitution-act-1982/

There was a lot of discussion at the time about the word "patriation". Repatriate means to send something back to where it originated, but the Canadian Constitution had always been in England. Changes to it required the approval of the Privy Council. It was a last trapping of colonialism. So the word patriation was coined to bring it to where it belonged and put full control of it into the hands of the Canadian parliament.

At least that my understanding.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The Queen & P.M....didn't sign these prints for fans..!!! :hilarious::hilarious:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. journeymagazine

Meaning it' probably isn't a print or it is? I can't find any prints for sale - maybe a former official donated it or was from their estate?

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2018-5-16_18-27-3.jpeg

the original has a chop mark in the corner..

6. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

7. journeymagazine

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Prime Minister Pierre Elliot Trudeau's name is on the bottom. The Registrar General was André Ouellet, and the name below Liz is Jean Chrétien, Justice Minister at the time, who wasn't even supposed to sign it:
    "'In a kind gesture by Trudeau, I signed my name just below Her Majesty's, although there was no technical reason for my signature to have been there,' Chretien wrote in his autobiography."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/chretien-s-unplanned-signature-of-1982-proclamation-1.796569

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uk...an-Chretien-made-Queen-laugh-by-swearing.html

Makes me wish I'd been there. Maybe Trudeau would have let me sign it too.

Figtree3, desperate_fun and aaroncab like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted