Prob a dumb question-Can You do your own Metal Plating ?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by bosko69, Feb 22, 2023.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Prob a silly question-but is it feasible in your garage,to do your own metal plating ? Assuming you don't want to kill yourself or spend 10K in equipment.Thanks all !

pearlsnblume likes this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Figtree3 likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

sure , as long as u r prepared if something should go wrong............

4. bosko69

Thanks Roaring-we'll see how complex it is.

Roaring20s likes this.
  5. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

The title says "Gold Plating At Home (Easy)" but as soon as they started to talk about chemicals and a venting hood, I noped out just cause I don't have any place for a set up. Seems interesting though!

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

I suspect OSHA may have something to say about this. "Venting" is one thing and "scrubbing" is another. Just "off the top of my head" opining.

7. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

When we lived in Utah we lived across the valley from Kennecott copper mine . A man had a farm down stream from it and the water from the mine washed into his creek . He had a lot of old junk cars in the creek. Somehow they found out he was driving fancy cars and living high on the hog. Gold washed out of the mine and gold plated his junk cars so it can't be too hard. Kennecott began collect the gold after that. Moral of the story -live like a pauper when you strike gold!

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. bosko69

Wow-A sluice operation in your backyard,just Don't Drink The Water !
    Robert-This be a small time op in my garage (mostly a pipe dream),but depending on carcinogens,etc-will prob not happen.
    I assume a lot of the high fees plating services charge have to do w/ EPA & OSHA compliance.
    PS-I guess plating's still expensive-yes ?