Featured Printed convex medallion - Hotel Lenox

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Bev aka thelmasstuff, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

2016-01-27 15.21.59 (600x800).jpg 2016-01-27 15.22.09 (600x800).jpg 2016-01-27 15.22.09 (800x763).jpg 2016-01-27 15.22.31 (800x600).jpg This is something I posted on Ebay long ago. My parents had a second hand store so my mother kept a lot of esoteric stuff that appealed to her. This is 3 1/2" x 2 1/2". Printed with a pre-Raphaelite type face on a convex front, it has an attached rose with ribbon and text on the back. It says Hotel Lenox, Boston. Some thought it went on a door or a box of chocolates or something, but it wouldn't be double sided. Interesting little souvenir in any case.

What does everyone here think it came off of?

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Probably not off anything - just a souvenir from the hotel. Is it a print or a painting?

KingofThings likes this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Looks like a hangs-around-collects-dust to me.

komokwa and Bev aka thelmasstuff like this.
  4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

:joyful: I have far too many of those gizmos.

5. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I'd get a little easel and display it.

6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Ooh. I have a tiny cup and saucer holder for a miniature. I was thinking of trying to hang it up, though. If it's hanging up, it's not on a surface I have to dust, therefore I have fewer items to move when I dust. IF I dust.

TheOLdGuy and Bakersgma like this.
  7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I've stayed at the Lenox in Boston, MA - it's a really nice place!

I was looking at that portrait & wondering if it somehow had anything to do with the history of the hotel (tho I wasn't sure how anything pre-Raphaelite might...)

Anyway, when I went to the hotel's own website and read, "...a ‘rags-to-riches’ hotel impresario known as Lucius Boomer had just erected Boston’s tallest building — a $1.1 million, 11-story Beaux-Arts hotel, which he would name for Lady Sarah Lennox, wife of King George, III," I sort of gave up.

First, as far as I recall, Sarah Lennox was never married to George, and second, even if she were, why the heck would such a hotel in MA be named after her in 1900? (In a distant 3rd, this image looks nothing like her, anyway.)

I was also wondering if maybe there was a Lenox Hotel in Boston in the UK, but I didn't find anything there, either.

Still a mystery.

8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I'm pretty sure it's the Lenox in Boston.

9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Can you see what it says on the ribbons between the "rose" and the Hotel Lenox line?

10. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Thanks, desperate!

desperate_fun likes this.
  12. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

It is the family motto for a family with the surname "Moss"

I flourish in the rose

13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It might be a print of a painting on display at the hotel.

14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

The hotel was built in 1900 and this looks like it's that era. I wonder if it was a gift to early patrons.

16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Did I miss it or did I just not see what it was the oval was made of?? Is it
    a porcelain oval?

17. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Found a connection of "En la rose je fleurie" to the Lenox hotel in Boston. This motto was on a banner across a rose on the hotel's china used before 1920. It seems "... 'I flourish in the rose,' [is] a motto for the Lennox family, although the hotel spells its name differently." The woman was probably just for looks to go along with a rose.

http://www.restaurantwarecollectors.com/forums/showwiki.php?title=Lenox-Hotel

This certainly doesn't answer your question on purpose, just add it to ones trivia section of the brain for future Jeopardy shows!

--- Susan

18. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I love it. Antique Forum Trivia.

Bakersgma likes this.
  19. Pam

Pam New Member

It's from the Duke of Richmond family crest.There's a Lennox rose on the collar and the family motto 'En la rose Je Fleurie.....Like the rose I flourish. Hotel Lenox Boston.

20. Pam

Pam New Member

Here is another [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted