Printed Classical Rome (?) etching on board with a signature....

Discussion in 'Art' started by Ownedbybear, May 11, 2019.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Can anyone make this out? Odd thing, I've not seen prints on board like this before.

A29C.jpg A29A.jpg A29D.jpg A29F.jpg A29E.jpg A29B.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is the Apprentice Pillar in Rosslyn Chapel in Midlothian, Scotland.;)

[​IMG]

Here is another engraving of the same view as yours, with slightly more detail:

[​IMG]

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

You're confusing me (sometimes easy to do!!)....saying 'printed' and 'etched' in the same sentence.....is it printed and laid on the wood?? Or maybe what they call Pyrography now??? (I believe what I used to call 'woodburning'?) Or something I'm not familiar with??

4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

5. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

If it is the same print, the text below the print on yours may be the engraver rather than the artist.

This is the best I could do with the signature on the right...

chapel-signature.jpg

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Gorgeous, isn't it? It is a place I always had to visit on my way to relatives in Edinburgh. The village of Roslin, where Rosslyn chapel is, is just south of Edinburgh.
    It is only a small chapel, but the quality of the carvings equals those of a cathedral.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

On obb's print you can see some space between the two pillars, and part of a window.
    But many engravings and paintings were made. I believe the chapel and the pillar also featured in one of Sir Walter Scott's books, so very popular in Victorian times.

9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Good catch! :)

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Zachary E How????

ZZ888 A29C.jpg

i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

I found the Sir Walter Scott connection. The chapel features in his 1805 poem "The Lay of the Last Minstrel".

To get an idea of the size of the chapel:

[​IMG]

12. Ownedbybear

Blimey, that started something! Huge thanks, AJ, it's not a place I've been. ;)

When I said print of an engraving, I meant that the engraving had been printed on the wood. If that makes any sense.

I shall now go squint and see if it's that Fraser one.

Well done chaps.

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  13. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The chapel has become quite a tourist destination since the Da Vinci Code was published and made into a movie which highlights a Templar conspiracy connection. I visited in 2014, and found that the publicity had generated enough funds to build a new visitor center and parking lot. It also generated such crowds that they forbade photography inside because someone had caused an accident while backing up during their photo session. :( I did, however, sneak a photo of William the Chapel Cat:
    817 Rosslyn Chapel - William the Chapel Cat (800x600).jpg

14. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Any similarity to the way they printed Mauchline Scottish transfer-ware do you think?
    ~
    B437E76B-4C13-4314-980F-62E98F004967.jpeg D587F04B-7C5A-4686-91F0-0F0790616047.jpeg

Fid, Figtree3, 2manybooks and 3 others like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Hoo, now THAT'S a thought! It could well be.

16. Any Jewelry

I saw photos of the new visitor's centre. I suppose it was a good way to solve the problem, but I wish the Dan Browns of this world would leave precious heritage alone.
    It used to be such a tranquil place, beautiful, with Roslin Glen nearby.
    I was last there in the 80s, long before mr Brown decided to take bits of old European esoteric beliefs he doesn't understand, and pretend he had uncovered something no one knew. Of course it had all been done before, and in a much better and more respectful way.

Draft saved Draft deleted