Print of a Sketch Hermes Work Shop ?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Suzy60us, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Suzy60us

Suzy60us Well-Known Member

I bought this print at a Rummage Sale today. Here lately, I have been attracted to industrial photos and prints. Couldn't help but notice the Hermes. It looks like it has been damp at one time. How old ? and Who would Martha be. Any thoughts ?
    DSC07740.JPG
    There is one on ebay that was a presentation piece. I know it is older than 1984 but how old ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-Indust...910233?hash=item341e8dd219:g:JDsAAOSwIFtaMVkP

2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  3. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Why can't we delete posts?

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

you can...but it involves going back to the post in the right time frame, hitting EDIT.....and removing all that's there......save for the word Edited....if u so choose !

Outright deletion.....only a Mod can do that !

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The awarding organization, Kansas Association of Rehabilitation Facilities (KARF,) was created in 1969. The group's name changed to Interhab in 1996. More than likely that the illustration, Martha being the artist, was created in 1984, the year the award was bestowed. You can always ask for more information via the contact information provided on their web site below. I would think that seller has greatly overpriced this item on both Etsy ($1,601.10) and on eBay ($1,770.04) as difficult to see where collector interest lies. It is no association with the French luxury brand Hermes, this being the Hermès logo.

https://www.interhab.org/about

Debora

Unknown.png

6. Suzy60us

Flipper,

My image was not a presentation piece. However, it is the same print Are you telling me that this is an image of a man using a Hermes Engraving Machine ? I wonder what the connection is between The Kansas Rehabilitation Facilities, Quaker Oats, and the Hermes Engraving Machine ?

7. Suzy60us

Thanks Debora !

I am looking at the Hermes Engraving Machine Co history. Monday I will try to contact interhab.

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's impossible to tell what your piece is because you posted a cropped photograph. These would have been created in multiples as presentation pieces at the time of the 1984 awards. Hermes would have been one of the companies KARF worked with to place disabled workers.

Debora

9. Suzy60us

Debora

There is no presentation plaque. This piece may have been reframed at a latter time.
    Debora I think it is so nice of you to share your knowledge here on the art board.
    Sue

DSC07745 (2).JPG

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thank you, Sue. And thank you for posting a full image of the work including frame. I think frame is original. As I said, they would have produced these in multiples and given out many to supporters of KARF programs and others. Quaker Oats just happened to win award that year. Either for a large donation to KARK or for employing workers in the KARF program.

Debora

11. Suzy60us

With Debora's and Flipper's help and a couple of emails, the artist was Martha Perske. Her husband Robert was a Chaplain at the Kansas Neurological Institute. Self taught, she would sketch the residents in just pencil.
    Here is the sketch that I have.
    https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=15840&acctid=685

thanks again for your help.

i need help likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

How kind of you to let us know. Thank you.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted