Primitive Basket Info

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by beakster1715, Aug 28, 2024.

1. beakster1715

beakster1715 New Member

Hello!
    Having some difficulty identifying the maker/region of this basket. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Hi beakster. Welcome to Antiquers.

To help ID your basket, where are you located / where did you find the basket?

komokwa likes this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I will tag a member who is knowledgeable about splint baskets. @komokwa

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

5. komokwa

you have a very sweet basket........... I luv em !

[​IMG]

6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I thought one of the distinctive features of the Taghkanic baskets was the double lashing (criss-crossed) on the rims, like the last one you show. But beakster's does not have that. Perhaps from the same region, but not Taghkanic?

kyratango likes this.
  7. komokwa

https://mycountrytreasures.com/h479oaksplintbasket.html

ok....

A classic example of regional folk craft, Taghkanic baskets have been woven in a small corner of the Hudson River valley since the mid-eighteenth century.
    Though not all do, the archetypal and most collectible Taghkanic basket has a rounded bottom with a center that pokes upward. It is made of oak and ash. The splints—a weaving term that can describe both the horizontal and vertical components of a basket—vary in width and are very strong, and the rim is lashed in a crisscross pattern.
    Most have either a single handle or a pair of handles, and some have a swing handle.
    BEN DAVIDSON AND PIPPA BIDDLE NOVEMBER 29, 2019

" Though not all do,....." is my key to letting some single lashed rims .... into this group...when all of the other identifiers are present.

[​IMG]

some even have that xtra spiral twist on the bottom to help keep the basket upright... and some.....have a flatter base... not as upturned as the classic model...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Taconic is a large area for basket weaving........and there are regional exceptions ...

as..

[​IMG]

here's an unusual cutout handle one...

https://samuelsniderantiques.com/products/taconic-gathering-basket

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted