Priest's Chair?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by P245triox, May 21, 2017.

1. P245triox

P245triox New Member

My friend purchased this from a theater where it was being used as a prop...it looks pretty special to me. Any idea's what it is? I was thinking Priests chair, but can't find another example anywhere.

Attached Files:

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I sincerely doubt a priest would sit in a chair with those demons and dragons on it. ;)

3. P245triox

P245triox New Member

LOL,...I looked at some church images under 'Leviathan' and 'Dragon'...they have even scarier things to see...

Heironymous and Joshua Brown like this.
  4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

If you click on FULL Image , your pictures will appear here instead of small icons. 20170521_13j2437.jpg

Joshua Brown likes this.
  5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I'm guessing it's too florid to be a religious item. Interesting piece. Too bad it's got a broken top.

6. P245triox

P245triox New Member

7. P245triox

P245triox New Member

I'd like to make all the thumbnails larger, but don't really see how..thanks for the heads up though. Think I can do them one at a time this way.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I'm getting an Arts & Crafts vibe from this

Joshua Brown likes this.
  9. P245triox

P245triox New Member

10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

you can upload up to ten pictures. When you are finished uploading, look at the top of the list and it gives you a couple of options. One is "Full Image." Click on that and they all appear in the post.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  11. P245triox

P245triox New Member

12. P245triox

P245triox New Member

I missed that option, and I can't see how to go back..I'll know for next time to do that at the beginning.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  13. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Isnt this pyrography? I think it was a run of the mill clergy chair,till some mad genius got ahold of it. Its fascinating,and quite beautiful. You could have those missing pediments recreated,but the breaks dont bother me at all.

cxgirl, P245triox and Joshua Brown like this.
  14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It is pyrography and about 1900, give or take.

cxgirl, P245triox and Joshua Brown like this.
  15. P245triox

P245triox New Member

Thanks a lot guys for all the info! I knew nothing about pyrography. Really neat artform, now I have something to further research.

Any idea what something like this retails for? I'd like to impart a value to it so my friend takes good care of it.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

We'd call that a hall chair here.

17. P245triox

P245triox New Member

I saw one similar online where they were calling it a "Pyrography Throne Chair"...seams a little overboard,...Hall chair makes a bit more sense, although I do like the whole 'Throne' idea...Kingdom of the Hall...lol

18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A priest's chair is not a religious item as such, but many religions have developed a love for the arts, sometimes very extravagant:
    [​IMG]
    And if the style of a specific period includes depictions of mythical beasts, those will show up as well. Just like gargoyles etc. on churches:
    [​IMG]

19. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Value is dependent on location and selling venue. Here in semi-rural Midwest US, you would be lucky to get $150.00 with that damage at retail. Probably less than half that at most small auctions I can see where in other places, this could be a $350.00 (or more) chair.

Without the damage, this could be worth a fair amount more. Someone with some reasonable woodworking skills and a pyrography iron could restore this. It would be tedious but not particularly hard.

P245triox likes this.
  20. P245triox

P245triox New Member

Thanks for the info. I was thinking around $350 here in NJ with a possible $500 in NYC if a designer stumbles across it. Bottom line is my friend really likes it and finds the damage gives it character so it won't be repaired. Don't expect she'll ever sell it either, at least now that it has a bit of value I can prevent her from painting it to look like some cheap home design store item.

Thanks again for taking the time to post.

johnnycb09 and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted