Featured Prie Dieu

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Marote, Feb 19, 2024.

1. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

IMG_4891.JPG IMG_4892.JPG IMG_4893.JPG IMG_4895.JPG IMG_4896.JPG IMG_4894.JPG
    Bought this prayer chair a month ago (and yes, I still need to clean it...).
    Any thoughts on when this could have been made?

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I remember these from my childhood, but it is old enough for Madame Rouzaud not to be needing it anymore.:(
    These named chairs stood in the front rows of a church, closest to the altar.
    I'm sure one of our members can date the plaque.

I remember the racket it made when those chairs were turned around and the seat flipped over to turn it into a prie Dieu.
    All that sitting down, standing up, kneeling, sitting down again, chairs turning this way and the other. To a child it seemed like that was what mass was about.:playful:

3. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

There's Chateau Rouzaud wine, Frédéric Rouzaud is CEO of Louis Roederer and Nicolas Rouzaud is Executive Pastry Chef at The Connaught Patisserie. All her prayers were heard, and the chair served its purpouse well.

Ghopper1924 and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

komokwa and Ghopper1924 like this.
  5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Ecclesiastical furniture can be quite conservative, i.e. styles can linger decades after their demise in the “outside” culture. There are not a lot of stylistic clues with this chair; that said, it could have been made any time from ca. 1880 to 1930.

komokwa and Marote like this.
  6. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Thank you! Happy to know it's older than its current owner :D

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted