Pressed EAPG wine glasses bulls eye buttons different sizes ID?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by moreotherstuff, Aug 7, 2014.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

What's the pattern on these wine glasses? Who made them and when, etc? Why are there 2 only slightly different sizes? The smaller ones re about 3 3/4" high and hold about 2 oz. The larger one is about 1/4" higher and the same wider and holds about 1 oz more. Plain, circular foot. No maker's mark.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Must confess I like this really wonky one:

[​IMG]

2. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Filly y Bryce, c.1875
    maybe cordial and wine

3. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Yes, this is the pattern called Filly or Filley, but Bryce didn't make the only one. Memory says at least three companies made the stemware, (names not available) so different company's wares might not be exactly the same.

There were (almost) no makers marks before 1898. What few marks there were dealt with patents, not manufacturers.

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Thanks for the answers. In Gerald Stevens "Canadian Glass c1825-1935" this pattern is referenced in a price list from Diamond Glass of Montreal, 1902. (pg 107 in Stevens) It's also shown in the "Treasury of Canadian Glass", but that book only refers the pattern to Stevens and another source I do not have.

I've been through those books lately because the bits of EAPG I've been picking up all seem to have been produced by Canadian as well as American glass houses. I still find it real easy to miss patterns when looking through books.

TCG says the pattern is A.K.A "Notched Bulls Eye".

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  5. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Carefull some of Stevens attributions come from shards which came from cullet shipped from the US. Unfortunately I do not know of a list.

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I have a small Picket compote where that might apply.

7. George Nesmith

If you are on the EAPGS facebook group Sid Lethbridge is good with Canadian attributions.

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'm not on Facebook at all. Sooner or later, but not today. I'll have to wait until it's hopelessly passe before signing up.

9. George Nesmith

I got dragged on by family. Now I find the glass groups are helpfull.

10. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Stevens attributions to Canadian manufacture of EAPG are based upon a study of shards from a factory that primarily made bottles. 2% of the shards were of pressed glass. It is currently believed that the company imported broken glass, cullet, to aid in manufacture and the EAPG was part of this cullet. There is no factual evidence that the factory produced any pressed glass.

11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Is there a more recent source on Canadian pressed glass? There were a lot of companies.

Draft saved Draft deleted