Prehistoric stone tool

Discussion in 'Tools' started by mdlock, Jan 17, 2023.

1. mdlock

mdlock Well-Known Member

I got this at a high end estate sale in Maryland. Got several items but this one caught my eye as I see tool marks and it was apparently listed in some kind of data base. If anyone can help I would really love to know where it was found. The number written on object is "8731-C". I believe. IMG_4995_Or5l5fFJ4M.jpeg IMG_4990_A2XQTn3Z76.jpeg IMG_4991_jWmhzuDW1P.jpeg IMG_4993_UGe4yh4d5V.jpeg IMG_4994_GhdPaG9U04.jpeg IMG_4992_GNUSf2VK31.jpeg IMG_4989_9bgEvsIH9p.jpeg IMG_4996_QP78cgl02v.jpeg IMG_4996_QP78cgl02v.jpeg

wlwhittier and Bronwen like this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's the remains of a scoop of some sort.

3. mdlock

mdlock Well-Known Member

The tool marks on the nub are made to cup in hand. Was thinking a mortar or hide scraper. Really like to know where it is documented.

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

That numbering is not consistent for an actual archaeological site in the US, at least not anything recent. Most of the US (including Maryland) uses a code, first numbers designating the State (some variations) then letter codes for the county followed by the site number in order of when the site was registered within that county. That is often followed by additional numbers or codes with more specific designations. You can see about it here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smithsonian_trinomial

Where I live, for example, a site number would look something like 44FQ0156. That would be 44 (Virginia) FQ (Fauquier County) 0156 (the 156th site registered in the county). Additional number or codes could follow.

Someone could have shorthanded it but that would make it challenging to identify..
    It also could just be a collector. I have many of my things numbered and cataloged using my own numbering system . Possibly a museum that has their own system etc.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
    Woutinc, Any Jewelry and sabre123 like this.
  5. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Not knowing anything about archaeological notation, and too lazy to research, but would they write this code directly on the artifact? Seems a like an amateur move to me, but like I said, I'm clueless on this type of thing.

6. say_it_slowly

They definitely do write on artifacts. Often a layer of removable clear then india ink (similar) writing and top coated with another clear layer. Sometimes so tiny it's incredible.

sabre123 and mdlock like this.
  7. say_it_slowly

8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Having worked with a collection that included archeological material collected over 100 years ago, I can say you will see a variety of cataloging methods used by individual collectors and museums. And yes, unfortunately, many numbers have been inked directly onto artifacts. As professional museum practices developed, they have tried to achieve the contradictory goals of applying a permanent identification number without permanently defacing the objects, using systems such as say_it_slowly described.

Archeology has lagged in such standards, as much of the work has to be done in the field.

Any Jewelry, wlwhittier and sabre123 like this.
  9. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Is it (looks like, to me) pink granite?

10. mdlock

mdlock Well-Known Member

Where would that type granite be?

11. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

I am without a clue about that...sorry!

12. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Woodstock Granite
    ..... a pinkish-toned, coarse-grained, gray granitic rock that was quarried near the town of Granite in Baltimore and Howard counties. This rock was first quarried in 1832 and was used intermittently until the 1920's. It was employed as a monument stone as well as being used for building exteriors. Buildings made from this stone include: parts of the Capitol building and the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C., the Baltimore Customs House, and the old Baltimore County Court House. Many curbstones, paving blocks and bridges are made of this stone.
    http://www.mgs.md.gov/geology/build...ranite.....,being used for building exteriors.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. mdlock

mdlock Well-Known Member

Well I did aquire in Maryland.

14. say_it_slowly

Would you recognize old soapstone/steatite? If you run your fingers over it does it feel sort of soapy?

15. mdlock

mdlock Well-Known Member

Feels like hard cold rock. It doesn't feel like it has a film on it if that is what you mean.

16. say_it_slowly

17. mdlock

mdlock Well-Known Member

It looks exactly like that and I got it at an estate in North East Maryland in Cecil County. Thank you I would like to see a close up of the lugs to see if similar tool marks.

18. say_it_slowly

mdlock and Roaring20s like this.
  19. Woutinc

Woutinc .wordpress.com

Be carefull with "Prehistoric stoneage tool".
    Not all stone-age tools are "prehistoric". Some are even no more then 100-150 years old, depending on area/country/folk.
    Native American used stone tools (arrow heads f.i.) up to 1500 or so?

If this is a tool it's old as it then has a wind patine (surface for ages). But the marks can also be frost damage?
    You see hit bumps or waves?

Can't say a lot as i'm only familiar with European stoneage.
    I would try to find the report as there you'll find your answer. Reported = determinated.
    Start searching local (archeolog, museum).

Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
    mdlock likes this.
  20. mdlock

mdlock Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what ypu mean "hit bumps or waves" 20230119_144857_resize_79.jpg 20230119_144857_resize_79.jpg 20230119_144831_resize_80.jpg 20230119_144820_resize_42.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted