Pottery Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, Dec 16, 2014.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Studio piece?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I don't want to hazard a guess, but this one I really like!

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I really like it also since it has my name on the bottom.
    See?
    greg

Attached Files:

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Greg you crack me up! :D

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  6. antidiem

I don't think this vase is terribly old, it's a hand-thrown piece and what with the damages (well unless it is an ORR which I doubt), I just see a cracked ceramic vase. I don't see signs of age on the bottom.

7. kardinalisimo

I don't see anyone arguing that it is an older piece. What damages? cracked vase? And what is ORR?

8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Might be Belgian.

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Spent some time looking at Belgian pottery and came up with a couple things to look at. A lot of hand thrown pottery with blended glazes were done at the turn of the century in Belgium. One of the characteristics of these posts are incised line decoration. Some are just rings like yours but some were done free-hand as well. Here is an example with ringed decoration.....

[​IMG]

Here is a pot with a similar glaze and a, somewhat, similar bottom.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are the best comps I could come up with. There is certainly the possibility that this is something else but my first thought when I saw this was Belgian. The kind of crude squared handles are atypical and I don't quite know what to think about them.

10. kardinalisimo

Thanks. I also searched for Belgium pottery but indeed their handles are more roundish and open.

11. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

I think that Orr is supposed to be Ohr, as in George Ohr. This is NOT George Ohr!!

My first thought was Belgian, then possibly Southern, maybe S. Carolina, but the clay is wrong for Carolina.

I'm with Brad on the odd handles. They could be OK though, just not common.

Sooooo, my vote...Belgium, circa earlier 20th cent..

12. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

There are lines on the bottom that look like cracks.
    Janet

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  13. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

For what it's worth - my first thought was also Belgium.
    Don

14. bennett

bennett New Member

I always thought that Belgian art pottery is very much under-appreciated. I like the drippy glazes used, and they often were of very nice quality that would fetch high prices if of American manufacture.

15. antidiem

Thank you all for correcting my spelling.*grins*

The thing is, the bottom clay doesn't seem to have much of an aged appearance, the handles look crude and rough, more like the work of a student, of course it could be a Belgian student, the fractured bottom looks like it was plopped down on top of another item. Looks to have more clay invested into it than a professional would have used, is it heavy? Size?

Shipping may out-"weigh" a selling price. (pardon pun)

Pardon my spelling, I never claimed to be a good speller.
    *smiles*

spirit-of-shiloh and gregsglass like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted