Pottery Vase ID - Original or Repro?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by FunkeysFinds, Jun 10, 2014.

1. FunkeysFinds

FunkeysFinds Well-Known Member

Hello,

I obtained this vase this past weekend. I am thrown-off on this vase - it looks like it could early utilitarian ware or just repro. There is a small chip on the rim that shows an older color pottery inside, that is what made me take the chance on it (that and it was a $1.00).

This vase measures 6 3/4" by 4".

Thank you for looking - Funkey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I had a vase - different shape & design - but almost the same colors. I was told it was newer so I never listed it. I"ll be interested to see what answers you get here.

3. Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter Del Pellegrino Well-Known Member

It most likely isn't very old, perhaps one or two decades but it is impossible to determine simply because the techniques and materials haven't changed all that much in the last hundred years. Why would you assume it is a reproduction? That term suggests that it might be a copy of a well known or historic example of ceramic art but there is nothing here to indicate that. Unmarked, mass produced vases such as this are abundant and it most likely sold for $1.00 when it was new 20 years ago.

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

FunkeysFinds likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted