Featured Pottery - Possibly European/British?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by wildrose, May 12, 2017.

1. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

Anyone know the maker of this cool pitcher? It has some markings but nothing that tells me anything. thanks! brownpitcher.jpg brownpitcher1.jpg brownpitcher2.jpg

2. jakatch

jakatch Active Member

Looks a lot like Dolton Lambeth in style and design...will do some looking.

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's earlier than that - and also wrong clay and base for Doulton, plus they mark properly. It may well be Dudson, who made pots with that colour ground and impress style. Some time from the 1830s or a little later.

jakatch likes this.
  4. jakatch

jakatch Active Member

Thanks, Bear, for teaching me something new today. I wasn't familiar with Dudson.

5. Ownedbybear

I learned about it when I bought some sprigged brown or yellow ground pottery and literally dug around on it a bit more!

This thing is Dudson: 9. Early 19th C Dudson England sprigged bisque pottery bread board.jpg

6. jakatch

jakatch Active Member

They seem to do a lot of 'jasper ware' type items but I found some syrup pitchers with pewter lids that were similar impressed items.

7. Ownedbybear

It's referred to as sprigged when it's the type that Dudson et al did, as it's glazed for one thing. The impressed ones always look so modern to me, too.

wildrose likes this.
  8. Dawn mohrbavher

Dawn mohrbavher Active Member

I have two very similar pots sitting on the floor beside my shop counter for pricing. I'll take a look at them in a couple of hours when I get down there and see if they're a match.

9. Ownedbybear

Photos, if you've time, please?

10. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

Is there a name for the impression on this? or just call it impressed.. and we are pretty confident it is Dudson, the bottom sure looks the same! thank you for all the info!!

11. Ownedbybear

Impressed is as good as any. I think there's another term as well, but my head has lost it.

wildrose likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted