Pottery lamps (from vases?) what do I have?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Our historic district had a neighborhood sale, I picked these two lamps up, took a chance as they were garage sale prices.

The owner said they had been in her grandmother's home, and that she believed them to be vases that her grandparents got in Turkey and turned into lamps. Matching plugs on each are bakelite, so they must have some age.

I have no idea what to make of the vase part. Neither look particularly "Turkish" to me, but could be wrong, so would love to get thoughts. The abstract one really caught my eye -- the two do sort of match color wise, but I have to say the finish is very different on the one with the handles. The crackle pattern almost seems to be ...painted on (?) not shiny, more matte, but does sound like glass. The orange part is glazed. For the abstract, it is all glaze. Can post close up photos of either if needed.

Thoughts on this odd couple???

tu1.jpg tu1b.jpg tu2.jpg tu3.jpg

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  2. Lucille.b

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Look up Czech alien-ware pottery.

Lucille.b, anundverkaufen and Roger67 like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Wow, Brad. That was quick! Just looked up similar, yes on the abstract piece --positively! No question.

Do you think the handled one is also alien-ware? From the photo I know they look similar, but the finish is completely different on the handled one. (Seems painted on, is rough to the touch, matte finish, etc.)

Did they make knock-offs of alien-ware by any chance?

Thanks for the ID.

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Ooooo,me likey !!! I don't think they are a "pair" in that sense of the word,but they definitely are in spirit. I thought Italian at 1st glance,just a thought.

Lucille.b likes this.
  6. Lucille.b

7. Lucille.b

I agree, Johnny. For sure not an original pair, but believe they were purchased to match in color, and apparently resided in the family home for years. They must have been converted by the same person as the plugs are identical. Funny, I considered Italian too, prior to my post, but one look at this alien-ware, there is no mistaking it.

8. Lucille.b

Here is an one that is a lamp, as well. Ebay item # 251867892621

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This is Czech art pottery. I never cared enough to research it further but you might be able to pin a particular pottery to them if you try. Alienware is just a trade name that has become institutionalized as far as I know. While it has some value, the appeal is somewhat limited. I have had an alienware vase (not as large or nice as yours) in my shop for over 6 months at $30.00 with no takers.

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yup. This is Ditmar Urbach Alienware. 1910s or thereabouts.

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted