pottery frogs

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by quirkygirl, Jan 31, 2015.

1. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Here are my two darling pottery frogs ... measuring about 6" long and about 3" high. They are nearly identical with subtle differences - one has pupils, one has deep nostrils, front legs positioned slightly different on each ...

I had become resigned that they would simply remain a mystery since there are no impressed marks in their red clay bases ... but the other day I noticed that one has a tiny remnant of a paper label on his belly!

Since I've witnessed you (plural) make some amazing ID's on items, I figured it couldn't hurt to let you see them and the label fragment.

Here's hoping they look familiar to someone.
    - Kat

frog1.JPG
    frog2.JPG
    frog3.JPG
    frog4.JPG
    frog5.JPG

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Perhaps one just got too hot in the kiln and slightly sagged. I love your frogs and as to the partial label I see Iroquois.
    greg

3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I think Greg might be on to something with the label. (I have a memory of another piece with a similar label but could be wrong.)

I LOVE these. I think the closed eyes on frog #2 are deliberate. Look at the second photo, you can see the lid etched in.

Adorable.

4. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

I like them. i think they are tree frogs and should be hung on wall or tree.

5. quirkygirl

Greg - as in the Iroquois China Co. that made dinnerware? Or is there another Iroquois that used red clay with a paper label? Google keeps returning N.A. pottery and bead work ... might have to start using the "-" symbol to weed these out. Thanks for giving me a possibility to search for.

6. quirkygirl

It does look like one eye is closed (but only the one) ... maybe he's winking ;)

7. quirkygirl

Ha ha ... GIANT tree frogs!

Draft saved Draft deleted