Featured Pottery Flower Frog - Who is this Guy?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Aug 7, 2024.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello everyone! I am trying to figure out who this flower frog represents. It stands about 6 3/4" tall. The holes measure about 3/8" across. The only marks are a 1607 scratched into the base (the 7 numeral has a crossbar) and 92. in ink. Thanks for any info you can provide. Don

20240807_150714.jpg 20240807_150723.jpg 20240807_150739.jpg 20240807_150759.jpg

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I believe he is an English "beadle", a ceremonial official. Perhaps Mr. Bumble, the parish beadle in Dickens's Oliver Twist.

3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Beadle is a new term for me! Thank you so much!
    Don

judy and 2manybooks like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Figtree3, dgbjwc and 2manybooks like this.
  5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you, Debora. The link to Wikipedia especially was very helpful. The hat led me to believe it might be Napoleon but I didn't think the rest of figurine looked like him. Then I saw that one of the beadles shown (the Oliver Twist one) in the Wikipedia page has a hat just like mine. I didn't think the figurine was British, either, because the crossed 7 in the mark indicated Continental origin to me. Maybe produced for export to Britain? Either way I found him kind of fun so he has a place here with me for awhile.

Figtree3 and bercrystal like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

dgbjwc likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted