Pottery Bud Vase with Spider Web Signature

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Apr 22, 2015.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone - This bud vase has puzzled me for months. It was in a display case at a local mall. I had the salesperson pull it out a couple of times so I could look at the mark on the bottom. I finally bit the bullet and purchased it. It's a little under 7" tall. Searching hasn't gotten me anywhere. Is anyone familiar with a company that used this type of mark? Thanks much for whatever help you can provide.
    Don

IMG_20150422_120951073.jpg IMG_20150422_121006094.jpg

lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I haven't found anything in research... Could be a school piece with the potter's own mark.

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Something about the glaze and the colors make me think Asian. But that's just a guess.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! I appreciate your efforts to figure out who made this thing. My own suspicion is that it's a studio potter. I don't think Asian because I can't see them taking the time to carve such a signature into the bottom.
    Don

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I have looked at this a few times but can't come up with anything. The piece itself is a lot like Morton Cliftwood but they never used a mark like this. Other than the mark, this has a commercial molded look to it so I am not sure that it is studio pottery.

dgbjwc likes this.
  6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I know what you mean - I'll bet I had it pulled out of the showcase several times just to look at the mark. I did check some of the more popular drip/blended glaze manufacturer's like Muncie and Camark but, as you noted, the mark keeps screwing things up.
    Don

7. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

There is a dealer at the one flea market I am at who is always looking for pottery with a spider web mark on it. He told me the potter's last name was Webb and he was from Michigan I believe. Don't know if this is of any help or not, but could be a place to look.

8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Oh, now that's interesting and it does make sense that someone named Webb would use this kind of signature! I'll see what I can find out. Thanks, Josh!
    Don

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  9. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

That is interesting !!! Don..let us know what you find out ...

10. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

I poked around the interwebs after you posted this yesterday and found a pot with this mark, but it was not ID'ed, so no good info except to see a picture of another one out in the world. Sorry I didn't have time to post it earlier.
    SPIDER-WEB-MARK-POTTERY-01.jpg
    Sale S1110 Lot 193 Oct 09 2011
    THREE ARTS AND CRAFTS POTTERY ITEMS - To include shall blue-green pot with spiderweb mark on bottom.
    SPIDER-WEB-MARK-POTTERY-02.jpg
    Pacific Galleries linked to above is in Seattle. Are you in that area? I'm wondering if the potter is/was from that locality.

Good info from Josh! A potter named Webb. Hope it will solve the mystery!

11. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thanks so much lauragarnet - oddly enough it's somewhat comforting to know there's another one out there! I appreciate all the time that everyone has put in researching this vase - and I'll certainly post back if I learn anything more.
    Don

12. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The silver company Webster also used the spider's web as their trademark.
    greg It is funny I have afriend who always calls my cat Ricky as Rickster. Oh God I need to go back to bed.
    greg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Hi Greg:
    Maybe getting up before the crack of dawn is causing your headaches ???
    It sure would cause mine ! :inpain::inpain:

Hope ya feel better soon !:)

14. gregsglass

Hi komokwa,
    Thanks for your concern. No this is a steady headache for a week, had the CAT scan and going for a MRI on Monday. I have been up at 4 to 5AM my entire life. Occasionally I will go back to bed at 7 and sleep another hour.
    greg

15. komokwa

I hope the quacks find whatever they need to make you better !!!!!!!!!!!!!

SOON !!!!!

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  16. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Greg..I do hope they can "make you all better" (mom talk:)) real soon.
    PS- my DH gets up then also...he is nuts too!;)-...he goes to bed at 8:30 and up early...why I do not know.. ..I stay up till 11 and get up around 7-8. Maybe that is why we have been married so long...we don't spend much time together LOL:hilarious:.

17. gregsglass

Hi Janette,
    I usually go to bed around 11. I must say it is nice to have quiet early in the morning. I can do quiet things usually on the PC while drinking my coffee but it is nice to see all the wildlife going to bed or getting up.
    greg

18. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I am so not a morning person. I'm pumped up and energetic between 11 pm and 2 am. I keep telling hubby I'm living in the wrong time zone for my metabolism.

The best job I had, and the worst, was Chicopee Mill in Manchester NH right after high school. I worked the 11 pm to 7 am shift. Ate breakfast, slept until 4 or 5, got up and did whatever I wanted until it was time for work. I never felt better in my life. Of course, working in a mill sucked, but that time frame felt right to me.

19. gregsglass

Hi,
    It all had to do with the farm. Up at 4AM got dressed had a quick cup of coffee and a slab of fresh baked bread out to do chores back at 6:30AM for breakfast got washed up and off to school. Home from school at 3PM changed clothes did chores until 6PM had supper, homework at 7PM. 8PM in bed, 9:30 PM out the window and joined the rest of the gang. Sneaked back in at 11PM and 4AM it started all over. The only times it varied was on a rainy Sat morning. Laying in the hay listening to the rain on the tin roof and hearing the animals chewing and grunting was wonderful.
    greg

20. komokwa

Salt of the earth Farmer Greg !! :D

spirit-of-shiloh and Pat P like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted