Pottery Botijo

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, May 21, 2016.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Any idea of age and origin? Never seen one with a spout being on the handle.
    Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Seems purposefully perplexing.
    Existential Pottery. :hilarious:

Or maybeeeeeeeeeee... does the top have a regular opening? Maybe the "spout" is actually a pour-control mechanism... if you have your thumb over it, with pitcher inverted, it won't pour... thumb off and it pours? Just the thing for a busy serving-wench?? :wacky:

3. kardinalisimo

The top has strainer. Interesting idea of the water control.I'll give it a try and tell later. By the way, something rattles inside. Don't know if there is something put there on purpose or it got in somehow. I can't take it out because of the strainer.

4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

You have fun mysteries, Mr. Kard!

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

All I can say is that I had one very similar - flow control handle, strainer inside the mouth, something rattling around inside. I asked about it online and never did learn anything.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  6. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!
    Seriously, Mr. Kard should buy me a drink!

EDIT
    And you deserve one, too, MOS!

7. kardinalisimo

Any chance for a pic or maybe a link to the forums you asked on?

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I asked on the eBay boards.

Here's a couple of pics:
    JugSmallBlackCeramicControlledPourMetalGrill-b.jpg

JugSmallBlackCeramicControlledPourMetalGrill-d.jpg

JugSmallBlackCeramicControlledPourMetalGrill-e.jpg

Mine was about 5 ¾” tall, the body about 3 5/8” across.

9. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWW! I'll have a Margarita.
    You, MOS?

moreotherstuff likes this.
  10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I have one too, I'll have to look for my photos. Edit, found them. I also tried to find more about it but didn't come up with much. I got mine from someone in Belgium who believed it to be Portuguese. Mine has a handwritten word on the bottom which I think says Bosnic.

1-55001 bosnic jug (1).jpg 1-55001 bosnic jug (2).jpg 1-55001 bosnic jug (3).jpg 1-55001 bosnic jug.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2016
    lauragarnet and yourturntoloveit like this.
  11. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

It's a landslide!

12. kardinalisimo

Who else got one? :)
    There has to be some info on those type of vessels. Yours rattles too?

13. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Yup mine rattles but I assumed it's the bits of pottery from when they poked the strainer holes.

Ok, it's been awhile since I did any research but I'm thinking I remember something about it being used to strain either wine or oil and the strainer was to prevent pits and things from going into the pot. I think if you hold your thumb over the hole in the handle it keeps it from pouring too fast.

Now is any of that right? I don't remember:shy: But at least I found my pics and got them loaded :) upload_2016-5-21_21-38-11.png

lauragarnet likes this.
  14. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

WE SO ROCK HERE!

lauragarnet likes this.
  15. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think filling one of these things would be more difficult than emptying it. Immersion would be the easiest way.

lauragarnet likes this.
  17. kardinalisimo

That 'gutus' from the link I guess is a type of the so called stirrup jars. But all that I found have spouts. I'll keep digging, as I think this vessel would have a name of its own.

lauragarnet likes this.
  18. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Maybe you all/each have a DIAMOND in the bottom!!!!!!!!!!:joyful::happy::hilarious::cat::joyful::cool:

lauragarnet likes this.
  19. kardinalisimo

Here is another one, possibly Hungarian. Not quite the same but with nipple on the handle and rattles. Found similar Romanian as well.
    https://www.etsy.com/nz/listing/172309097/hungarian-pottery-pitcher-folk-art-jug

All the above examples are so different in decoration. But all have strainers, handle holes and rattle. I'd think whatever is inside is there on purpose.
    By the way, I filled the jar all the way. The handle nipple does not control the flow. But it is convenient to sip from there.

lauragarnet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted