Featured Pottery Basin

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Desertau, Jun 26, 2024 at 1:56 PM.

1. Desertau

Desertau Well-Known Member

This was the dogs water dish, it made a pretty good water dish maybe that’s all it ever was intended for… probably Chinese.

Anyone have any guesses on this small ceramic basin? This came from my grandfather no doubt out of the Auction house, I think this has some age but no distinguishing marks it is simply a pottery basin that could have been made by anyone at any time. It appears based on the ash mark in the glaze it was fired in an older wood fired kiln, there is significant crazing in the light green celadon glaze, the clay body is fairly course.
    IMG_2024-06-26-093404.jpeg IMG_2024-06-26-093441.jpeg

Any Jewelry, Bronwen, Marote and 3 others like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

an 1800's Haida argillite pole was once found in the English countryside....

it was being used ...as a door stop !:jawdrop:

5. Desertau

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Certainly not as elaborate as the others. But, at least, now we know it's a censer and not a dog's water dish!

Debora

7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Perhaps @Ke.Ma can kindly venture a guess ?
    Desertau-Have you been collecting Chinese & Tibetan piece for long ?

8. Desertau

Kind of, but I’m sort of a non discriminating collector, eclectic I guess I can’t really say I collect this or that… my home is the “Art House” some how between my art and antiques it all seems to work. The only word that scares me is “moving.”

9. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Those 3 jade and silver teacups are pretty serious knick-knacks.Sounds like you've got a very cool pad.

Desertau likes this.
  10. Ke.Ma

Ke.Ma Member

It can be a Ru porcelain. These can be dated to Song dynasty. I'm not familiar to these items.
    The foot of this one looks like a incense burner, but the upper part is too flat. Looks kind of weird.

11. Desertau

Between my wife and I we have more nick necks than we have display space. We moved in 2018 at the beginning of COVID, before things changed, it was a comfortable way too spend the pandemic.

komokwa likes this.
  12. Desertau

Thank you for looking and the opinion, I agree with your assessment.

komokwa and Debora like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted