Potential extremely rare sought after insulator!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Tiffany Caudill, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Tiffany Caudill

Tiffany Caudill New Member

I’m writing because I acquired my dads huge insulator collection last year, just something we always did together growing up. But I noticed he always kept one on his dresser. When I went to pack everything up today I just happened looked at it a little more thoroughly.

So it appears to be your Brookfield dark aqua CD 145 CREB beehive. However....embossment under skirt on backside is ER. It has your standard patents on front reading “ PATD Nov 13th 1883 in an arch/arc with February 12th 1884 in a straight line below. On the backside side a it reads your W. Brookfield with 45 Cliff St, followed by N.Y at the top of the skirt. The secind address line does seem to have a little ghosting because it isn’t a prominent. Now I have an additional embossment on top of crown but it’s actually nowhere near the center and the 60 is backwards with some imperfections to the 6. Which I’m assuming was the rare FAB error. So along with this I have a shop number in rear crown of 1. I also notice that after I put this one up to another CD 145 CREB, it has a narrow dome and a much larger wire groove that is noticeably different at first glance. It also looks like maybe it’s a dark steel in color. Will be gearing the collection up to sell soon so any feedback on what I am looking at would be amazing!

judy likes this.
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Please post photos.

judy likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

just something we always did together growing up..........

That's sweet !!! :happy::happy:

My Dad took me to his work shop...to show me his Mongoose ...& scare the crap out of me !!! :playful::playful::playful:

sabre123, moreotherstuff and judy like this.
  4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  5. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Yes,it helped. At least I know now what it looks like. Thanks.

judy likes this.
  6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

DizzyDaff and Boland like this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

The nuances of differences in insulators will boggle your mind. Ultimately, value will be determined by the marketplace. I had purchased a lot of over 100 insulators at auction for $3.00. Finally got around to looking at them about 20 years later... LOL!. There was one really good one that I sold for nearly $700.00 on ebay. The rest were mostly worthless, with a few approaching $20.00.

This site may also help.

Glass Insulators Collectors Reference Site

8. verybrad

9. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Ok. A whole new world to me.

10. David Kiehl

David Kiehl Well-Known Member

The glass insulator world is amazing. Pricing is very market-driven. I have never seen a $700 insulator but what a great sale for you & the collector!

Firemandk likes this.
  11. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

Took a ride recently on the Niles Canyon railroad in the Bay area here in California and was amazed some of the glass insulators on the abandoned telephone lines remain....... usually you just see poles striped bare. Used to have a few when I was a kid , they are fun and pretty to collect . Some of the colors are amazing.

12. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Here are a few eye-openers ...
    (I had planned to link the high price of sold eBay items, but it will not take you there.) :sorry:

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 3.50.31 PM.png

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    DizzyDaff and bluumz like this.
  13. verybrad

Seems the OP mostly knows what she has. Researched just a bit and found that the FAB error is actually a misspelling of Feb. on some. ..... so probably not what she has. Color may actually be sapphire blue based on description......

October 2006 CREB CD 145 Beehives (cjow.com)

upload_2021-7-9_8-0-22.png

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted