Featured Possibly antique books…

Discussion in 'Books' started by Kelly McEvoy, Jan 1, 2023.

1. Kelly McEvoy

Kelly McEvoy Member

Hi

I have about 80 old books that I have inherited. Big range. Would people mind if I posted a few on here that I can’t find online?

For example a bound volume of various books, some authors’ copyright editions including Hunchback of Notre Dame, a the Miser’s Daughter, The Little Savage. Looks quite old (see photo).

770DA33B-A115-4A90-AE75-ABF12FA62908.jpeg DCBB06CD-B9BB-483B-935A-FFD3169BA553.jpeg 084B0BFC-C7DA-4346-B1CA-D66E11E9E9E3.jpeg

And this lot on the bookshelf… don’t know where to start!!!
    5BAC2775-1D7F-48CE-8754-46BEBB5E11E9.jpeg E2979D38-EB79-494F-86FF-643238B253F8.jpeg 2411DC67-A200-4BB4-8BBE-31758286CEB2.jpeg 23EB0FC5-4243-4262-B531-331660295A7D.jpeg 41E7C982-7526-404E-A3AC-6732DE8119FE.jpeg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Have you searched for titles on bibliofind.com or abebooks.com? That will give you an idea of asking prices and scarcity. Important to keep in mind that condition matters.

Debora

3. Kelly McEvoy

Kelly McEvoy Member

I have searched for a few of them. Hard to find exactly the same edition. A couple of them are signed too so I don’t know how much of a difference that makes to value. Thanks for the advice about condition. I don’t think any of them have been kept in ideal conditions to be honest but, given their age, they’re not bad.

I’m guessing that if I can’t find them on any platform, they’re pretty scarce but I do appreciate scarcity doesn’t equate with demand!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Signed by the author? Or signed by previous owner? And what are you intending to do with them? Sell what you can and pass on the rest? At a quick glance and speaking generally, old biographies (e.g. Cronin's Napoleon) typically don't have a lot of value because standards of scholarship have changed. Your newer volumes (e.g. Gallico's Snow Goose) don't have dust jackets which effects value. Aunt Judy's Christmas Volumes could be worth something depending on year, completeness and condition. Ditto The Mikado if it's signed by Gilbert.

Debora

mmarco102, pearlsnblume and Figtree3 like this.
  5. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I use bookfinder.com to research since they pull from all other sites. I look for ones in the same shape as mine and then look at the price ranges. I usually go for a middle range when i list them. I can always go down.

6. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Antique books would be 100 years old or older. Most of your appear to fall into the vintage category. The pageant of Nature might be a good one if in good shape. Still $15 or less.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  7. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

:bigtears::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears:

I LOVE old books like these!!!!!!!!

Born2it, bluumz and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree. There's something so comforting about old books.

Debora

pearlsnblume, Born2it and bluumz like this.
  9. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I do sell a lot of old books. Most I think are going for the decorative appeal so ones with marbled backboards or nice gold designs on the spine and front.

pearlsnblume and AntiqueBytes like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, shelf decor.

Debora

11. AntiqueBytes

AntiqueBytes Well-Known Member

I use a special rare book collector's formula for my antique leather books and it gives them that great "Moroccan" leather look and keeps them from lightening up in color and eventually chipping. Regular petroleum jelly also works but you have to use both sparingly and watch out for it bleeding into the end-papers.

12. 2manycats

2manycats Well-Known Member

13. AntiqueBytes

I never use it on my books. I heard it was OK and then also about the controversy but glad to know that it's a big no no. The problem is, some book dealers don't believe in using anything as kind of like they are the ultimate in wisdom on these matters, so I guess I stopped caring too much and went to the other extreme. Glad to know there is some science behind it. Using nothing lets the leather books turn to dust over time.

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. 2manycats

2manycats Well-Known Member

I use a little Fredelka Formula (aka Triple Crown) on mine that seem to need it, but the needs of dealers & collectors and the needs of librarians & conservators are different. And different leathers also have different needs, so it's complicated to generalize.

AntiqueBytes and Figtree3 like this.
  15. AntiqueBytes

That's what I use. Before I used something I referred to as the British Museum formula, with neatsfoot oil and beeswax.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Museum_leather_dressing

pearlsnblume, Born2it and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted