Possibly a Oil Lamp, not sure

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Kingjoker, May 8, 2016.

1. Kingjoker

Kingjoker Well-Known Member

2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Font. Probably 1960s Hong Kong.

Bakersgma and Kingjoker like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Agree.
    Oil lamp from the 1960s. HK or Japan.

The clue is the way the collar screws on. Older lamp collars are attached with plaster.

Adding:
    Also the color stain that is peeling off.

Kingjoker likes this.
  4. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Yes, a miniature lamp. The screw on collar is a dead give-away that it isn't old but could date to the 1920s-1930s. Among my miniature lamp collection, I have an identical one but with the number 1 in the hexagon on the bottom. These came painted and clear. Many of these were made during WWII for home use during blackouts. There are many many many types of swirl miniature lamps. According to Smith's Miniature Lamps, 1st ed, 1968, many miniature swirl lamps were "filled with perfume oil and sold in the 1920s and 1930s, if not later." This lamp probably originally had a matching swirl globe/ball shade.

BTW, these swirl lamps were manufactured in the US, Great Britain and many other countries. I'm not sure where these with the hexagon on the bottom was made, but suspect the US???

--- Susan

SwirlLamp.jpg

Bakersgma, komokwa and Kingjoker like this.
  5. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I should have added that I couldn't find this particular swirl miniature in any of my miniature lamp books. A couple of other type swirl miniature lamps I have with hexagon or embossed circle on the bottom are pictured in Smith's books. Including pics of them.

--- Susan

1. Smith's Miniature Lamps, p. 78, Fig 119 -b Hexagon #4
    "Clear glass in a swirl pattern with molded threads for screw-on collar: Acorn burner; 8 1/4" to top of swirl chimney. This lamp filled with perfumed oil was sold in the 1920s and 1930s, if not later."

LampMiniSwirlTall.jpg

2. Smith's Miniature Lamps II, p. 118, fig. 184 - Circle #2
    "Clear glass painter on inside; paint soon washes off. Embossed ribbed swirl on top with band of embossed lines around bottom of base... Tin handle. ... These lamps about 1940s, 1950s."

LampMiniSwirlFinger3Box.jpg

Bakersgma and Kingjoker like this.
  6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

My mother had one of these perfume lamps. Of all the things she left behind, this was something I'd have liked to keep. I remember her lighting it at night so the bedroom would smell like roses. Circa 1959-60

Kingjoker likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted