Featured Possible Wolfgang von Wersin?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Puckster, Mar 17, 2024.

1. Puckster

Puckster New Member

I recently found a vase I really liked at a small antique store for a rather inexpensive price. When I took it up to the counter, the owner said she didn't know anything about it. Just that she picked it up as part of a lot she had gotten shipped from Italy years ago.
    I got it home and tried researching it. The first thing that popped up was Wolfgang von Wersin. From what I can see, I believe that may be what I have. I see that they can also be pretty pricy as well.
    How do I know for sure if that's what I have and not a reproduction? If it's worth what I believe it to be, I wouldn't mind selling.
    There are some small chips on the bottom but those are the only flaws that I see.
    20240316_111850.jpg 20240316_111932.jpg 20240316_112024.jpg 20240316_112009.jpg 20240316_112102.jpg

Attached Files:

Figtree3, bercrystal, stracci and 9 others like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

No idea, but I'd have run off with that too.

bercrystal, Puckster and johnnycb09 like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice vase, and welcome Puckster.
    I would love for it to be by someone with such a wonderful name.;) Knowledgeable people will be along later.

As an aside, my favourite "von" name is Florian Henckel von Donnersmark, a German-Austrian film director. Beautifully pompous.:happy: (Yes, there is such a thing!)

4. evelyb30

Especially with a first name like Florian. :p

johnnycb09 likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Of course! And Donner means thunder.:playful:
    Florian is a very South German and Austrian first name.

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. evelyb30

When I hear Donner all I can think of is "The Donner Party" and "Donner Pass", aka a famous instance of cannibalism. Donner IIRC is Thor in German, or close enough. Hence Thor'd Day, or Thursday.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Yes, Thor is Donar in German. Thursday is Donnerstag.

Potteryplease and johnnycb09 like this.
  8. evelyb30

I remembered that. Vendredi in French. (talk about ancient lessons coming in handy)

9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I love the vase and it looks right,but those darn Chinese can copy anything these days. Make sure the size,weight etc,match the known examples is a step in the right direction.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. Puckster

Puckster New Member

Sounds reasonable. I guess that would be one of the questions I would want answered. The stats you just mentioned. I haven't weighed it, but it definitely doesn't feel like it's a cheap imitation. It's also hard to tell in the photos, but it's not perfectly round. It has a very slight polyhedron surface. (That's the first time I've used that word since graduating high school over 30 years ago.) I think that's one of the things that makes it so unique other than the coloring.

11. Any Jewelry

Jeudi in French.;) Vendredi is Friday.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  12. evelyb30

13. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@Ownedbybear - Is this a glass artist you might have run across? :happy::happy:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@Ownedbybear -- Don't know whether you saw the previous tag?

bercrystal and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted