Possible painting by Giles Firman Phillips (1780- 1867)

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lord_Dee, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Lord_Dee

Lord_Dee New Member

I've acquired an old painting on canvas of a rural scene showing a decrepit cottage with a young girl walking past. The picture is 14" x 10" and the frame the canvas is mounted on is of hand-cut wood. It has been reframed in an awful 1960s white frame at some point.

The backing paper on the rear has mostly peeled off and there is a number "5664"written on the back in pencil and the signature on the front of the canvas is indistinct but appears in part to be "...les Phill..".

I'm wondering is this painting might be by Giles Firman Phillips, who was better known as a watercolourist and engraver, but I've found one image of an oil by him online which appears to be in a similar style (Syon Park) at

http://www.artnet.com/artists/giles...re-park-at-syon-house-av1xhh2c5PXP_saMXvK4Ew2

Of course I could be completely wrong and this is by a Victorian amateur!

Any opinions would be welcome. Phillips 1.jpg 100_5539.JPG Phillips 2.jpg

Phillips 1.jpg

2. John Phillips

John Phillips New Member

Hi there

I am GFP's 6x great grandson, and I can say categorically that this is not by him. This is an amateur painting, poor quality and draughtsmanship, and not worthy of a man who was a drawing master and author. There are various reproductions of his work on the net which you can look at, and you will then no doubt draw the same conclusion. Best wishes.

John Phillips.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted