Featured Possible Nils Westerback/Westerback Oy Ring 14k Opal Ring

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ana Lee, Jul 26, 2023.

1. Ana Lee

Ana Lee Member

Hi all,
    I am having difficulty identifying the maker of this vintage MCM 14K opal ring. I suspect that it is a later collaboration of Nils Westerback or Westerback Oy with someone in the US but I can't find any similar markings online. Hoping someone here can help. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I cant help with your question but I want that ring SOOO badly ! Its gorgeous !

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice shadowbox with an opal that spits fire..... it's stunning !

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a really gorgeous ring, and the style looks like it could be by Nils Westerback, as does NW.
    I only know of his Finnish works, which always bear full Finnish hallmarks.

Maybe one of our US members knows more.
    Tagging @DragonflyWink , and Modernist afficionada @reader for help.:)

5. reader

reader Well-Known Member

What an absolutely stunning piece but I’m useless here. My MCM knowledge is really Mexico and less so, US.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

No idea, but I'd wear that in a blinkin' heartbeat.

7. Ana Lee

Ana Lee Member

It's an absolute stunner. It looks better in person. I would keep it for my own collection but it's too small and due to the setting and band, it's very hard to resize. I have an ebay store and this one will eventually go up, but I would like more info first :)

Lucille.b, johnnycb09 and komokwa like this.
  8. Ana Lee

Ana Lee Member

Thank you!

Lucille.b and johnnycb09 like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I want that, my precious.

I agree if it were Finnish it would have proper full Finnish marks. Hm.

10. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Sorry, can't help much, very attractive ring, but personally doubt a connection to Nils Westerback, some sales descriptions with this mark show pieces that seem quite atypical to my eye, and can't really see a point in working with some anonymous American firm when he was already known (a partnership with a prominent retailer, their mark used as well, would be a more likely scenario). The 'NW' is sometimes found with an additional diamond/square-on-point mark, shown here on a band:

NW-14K-mark.jpg

~Cheryl

11. Any Jewelry

Fair points.

I didn't know of a US collaboration either, but I know very little of US jewellery other than NA.
    You already did, thank you.:)

johnnycb09 likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Finland is one of those countries that are very helpful to us joolies.;) Yay Finland!

Ownedbybear and johnnycb09 like this.
  13. Ana Lee

Ana Lee Member

LOL! Thank you for the feedback :)

Ownedbybear likes this.
  14. Ana Lee

Ana Lee Member

I actually sent photos to Westerback and they responded that they'd like photos! They are truly helpful!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. Ana Lee

Ana Lee Member

Thank you! Do you know what NW could possibly stand for then? The only reason this ring was suspected as Nils Westerback was the style plus the NW. But Finnish markings are so thorough.

16. Any Jewelry

The link below has a list of mostly unidentified jewellery marks, NW is as yet unidentified:

https://www.jewelry-secrets.com/Blog/unidentified-stamps-inside-rings/

They are not in alphabetical order, but you'll see it if you scroll ca 1/4 down the page. Not helpful, but at least you know you're not the only one who can't find it.

17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

IOW this is one Westerbeck wishes they'd made? :p One of the Great Unidentified from what I can find too. I found some other pieces with the same mark, all with no attribution or mis-attributed to Westerbeck.

18. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Now that is one stunning ring.

19. JewelryPicker

JewelryPicker Well-Known Member

20. Ana Lee

Ana Lee Member

LMAO! They responded. It doesn't belong to them. They told me it looks like costume jewelry...Gotta love the warmth of the Finnish, lol! I've had the ring GIA appraised, jeweler appraised, and looked at by half a dozen jeweler friends. It's definitely not costume :happy:

Thank you for the resource link. Another one I can add to the library!

Marko and RachelW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted