Porzellanfabrik Hermann Ohme - Some kind of ladle stand?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Apr 6, 2017.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello all! I've got the manufacturer ID'd but I can't figure out its use. It measures 6 3/4" long and about 1 3/4" at its tallest. It's got a shallow well at the top and a larger deeper well at the bottom. As best I can figure it was some type of holder - maybe for a gravy ladle or punch bowl ladle? I can't figure out what that top well was for. The mark dates it as 1900 and 1920. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Don

IMG_20170406_112952711.jpg IMG_20170406_113008052.jpg IMG_20170406_113020059.jpg IMG_20170406_113032946.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice...& i like the idea of a ladle holder.....but i'm wondering if it's not something else, where you drag something out of the bowl onto that shelf.....

3. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

or maybe it fit in a "wire" holder over a larger bowl - sort of like the chip and dip sets of the 1950s-60s

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

What do you call those wine tasting bowls?
    And would they have been made in porcelain?

5. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

tastevin.........

[​IMG]

judy likes this.
  7. bercrystal

It is definitely a ladle / spoon rest. :happy::happy::happy:

I remembered that I had a book on this brand of china after I had posted my other response. I found the exact shape shown in the book on page 127. BTW the mark would date it to between 1912 & 1918.

I am still looking to see if the pattern is identified. :rolleyes:

judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you, Peggy! Can you let me know what book you used? It's probably worth adding to my library.

I may give the wine tasting thing a try though!:wacky:
    Don

judy likes this.
  9. bercrystal

Thank you, Peggy! Can you let me know what book you used? It's probably worth adding to my library.

You are very welcome!! :happy::happy:

I was not able to find the pattern in the book, but I was doing it very quickly so I may have just missed it.

The book is Old Ivory China The Mystery Explored by Hillman, Goldschmidt & Szynkiewicz.

judy likes this.
  10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you, Peggy - I've got it ordered. I love getting new books. I know they're a bit old fashioned but I hope they don't die out before I do!
    Don

judy, clutteredcloset49 and SBSVC like this.
  11. bercrystal

You are very welcome Don!! :kiss::kiss:

I know what you mean. I have a 4 level barrister's bookcase that is filled with all types of reference books. Sometimes it is just easier to grab one of them rather than sitting here staring at a computer screen. :happy::happy:

judy, ascot, SBSVC and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted