Featured Portrait miniature id

Discussion in 'Art' started by Dory64, Feb 4, 2023.

1. Dory64

Dory64 Well-Known Member

Hi all

I've recently bought these portrait miniatures at auction.
    I believe they are all hand painted one on velum (or something similar), one on ivory or card and the third - not sure.

They are all backed in such a way it would be difficult to take them apart to be more certain of their composition.
    The one of the man could be anyone, and is unsigned.

The other two are of St Fabiola signed I Henner and Caroline Bonaparte signed but illegible to my eyes.

I would imagine that these two were the type knocked up for tourists and sold at museums where the originals resided back in the day.

I'm curious to know if any of you can tell me anything about them and their age/value.

Thanks in advance.

Man 1.jpg man 2.jpg man 3.jpg CB 1.jpg CB2.jpg CB3.jpg SF1.jpg SF2.jpg SF3.jpg

mirana, judy, Any Jewelry and 4 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

very nice....

Dory64 likes this.
  3. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Dory-Can You post more Pics of yr miniature in the Full Size format & any poss of a super close-up (say 1/4 of the face),is the piece removable so we can see the reverse of the painting.can you post the other 2 minis for us too ? Thanks

mirana, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  4. Dory64

Dory64 Well-Known Member

Hi Bosko69 - already done - I accidentally hit post while I was still uploading. Sorry I can't take them out as they are done in such a way that it would be impossible to do without damaging - unless an expert did it.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Dory64

Dory64 Well-Known Member

Oops - I see now it's J Henner that is in the signature on St Fabiola - but that's the artist who painted the original so it's "after" J Henner.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Dory64

Dory64 Well-Known Member

Thanks Komokwa and can I just say I love your owl?!

judy and komokwa like this.
  7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I just love miniature portraits! Not an expert but I think the portrait of the woman (2nd picture) might be a print or some kind of transfer that is over-painted. Lace, crown, earrings, etc. in the white paint. Eyes enhanced, etc. Wait for other comments. A nice group. :)

mirana, judy, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  8. Dory64

Dory64 Well-Known Member

Thanks Lucille.b - yes I agree, I thought that it was something overpainted, but it doesn't have dots like a print normally does, so I thought maybe it was painted then enhanced?

judy and Lucille.b like this.
  9. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

#3: Holy Mary, Mother of God.

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I recognize the third one. She's a famous painting from somewhere. The second lady is an enhanced print of some kind. Seen her before too, or at least that technique. It's never done on a real painting, just on prints to make them look hand-painted.

mirana, judy and Figtree3 like this.
  11. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think the second lady is lovely ,shes my favorite by far.

12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Fabiola looks like Savonarola's pretty younger sister.

Dory64, judy and Figtree3 like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They are beautiful, Dory. Good choice.:)
    Dory is right, it is St Fabiola, after Henner. St Fabiola was a Roman noblewoman who became an early Christian saint.
    The Henner portrait is copied a lot in miniatures and (enamel) jewellery.

The beautiful lady in the Empire style dress is probably after a famous painting as well. A queen or princess?

Dory64, judy and Bronwen like this.
  14. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Dory64, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Thanks.:kiss: I hope I'll wake up some time today.:yawn::hilarious:

Bakersgma, judy and Bronwen like this.
  16. bosko69

AJ-You're knowledge sleeping is larger than my data base fully awake & in Einstein mode.

17. Any Jewelry

:shy::)

Dory64 likes this.
  18. bosko69

:shy::) yes,yes

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Your Regency gent looks like watercolor stippling on ivory. He also looks like he's had pigment fading from UV exposure...I've not seen one created in blues like this, but I've seen a lot of pieces where the reds have fled. That loss and the newer looking housing make me think he might be a print. I wish I could see him more closely. I personally would take him apart because it looks fairly easy and miniature paintings sometime have fun backing ephemera bits.

Here's a fun page from the Gibbes Museum showing close-ups of watercolor on ivory techniques, and what these pieces look like disassembled.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted