Porcelain Vase Dutch Scene marked Holland

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by wildrose, Jul 23, 2018.

1. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

This porcelain Dutch scene vase is only marked Holland. I have been unable to locate the mark, is it familiar to anyone? The vase is 5" tall, has quite a bit of gold loss so I am thinking it must have some age to it. Thanks!!! holland1.jpg holland.jpg

Any Jewelry and Aquitaine like this.
  2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

There's a vase currently listed on ebay, and a sold trinket box with the same decal. I'm not sure if it's from Holland, or if the pattern is Holland.

judy, i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is probably not Dutch, the Dutch produced very little porcelain, because the import of kaolin clay from Germany was unreliable. So Dutch porcelain is rare and generally has a different style, geared towards the Dutch market, no tourist ware.

I would guess this was made in the US. A pretty example of Hollandmania.
    The man and the boy look Dutch to non-Dutch people, but certain details show that the painter had never seen the actual costume.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    judy and i need help like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That shape is typical of pre WW1 German fairings, as is the gilding and the dark blue.

judy and i need help like this.
  5. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

thanks everyone! I did not see the one on Ebay despite searching, will try again.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted