Porcelain Mug, Seasonal Kid's, Hand Painted Over Glaze; Initials: Whodunnit?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by wlwhittier, May 20, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Today's find...I haven't even washed it yet. Fairly large; 4¼" high, 3¼" rim diameter, ~4" max diameter; 32.4 grams. Capacity is ½ liter, with a ½" freeboard. The bottom has an impressed underglaze mark, but there's not enough detail or contrast to get a decent pic. The paste is very slightly translucent; it's high-fired, with a bright, clear ring when tapped with a fingernail.

I think the mug is European but the art is, I strongly believe, American (or Canadian?). Those kids look so very familiar...but I cannot place them, even with the help of the E.C. signature.

When were Dunce-caps in vogue? That poor kid!

With any luck, though...one of you will recognize this li'l treasure.
    Thanks for looking!

fullsizeoutput_9285.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9284.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9283.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9286.jpeg

judy and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

There's a vague similarity to the Campbell's Kids by Grace Drayton. Could be from the same period.

Are the colors fired on? If cold painted, cleaning could be risky. Definitely not dishwasher stuff.

judy likes this.
  3. wlwhittier

Yes, certainly they're fired on...or they'd be long gone by now! And I don't even have a dishwasher...all my stuff is vintage or old, so hand washing is the norm here.
    I'll follow up on Grace Drayton, Thanks!

judy likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

So cute!

judy likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

OH My, they're ADORABLE, and Oh So Familiar.....BUT just NOT popping into this cranium either!!!! Maybe if I sleep on it.....but I wouldn't count on it!!!:happy::happy: Maybe 1940's or 50's????

judy likes this.
  6. wlwhittier

I'm more like teens thru 30's...based on several small, weird details. ICBW though...it's becoming habitual!

Grace Drayton's lovely work is way too tidy, too well executed to serve as a model for this...IMHO.

judy likes this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

SO, maybe I'm not searching back far enough!!! Will try a little deeper!!

Draft saved Draft deleted