Porcelain cup and saucer question

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lavrentii, Mar 8, 2024.

1. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

Hello community!

My new find.
    Stunning cup and saucer in green.
    As for me - 18 century. But I am looking for advise and opinion about maker and date.

So there is like two impressed crosses or flowers. I found two similar marks. But I'm not sure. I found some looks like this mark - Grossbreitenbach double trefoil early marks. But, it shows as ink mark.
    On cup there is a pattern number as well. 3/545
    Appreciate all opinions and thoughts.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Chinoiserie likes this.
  2. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

3. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Various makers produced items like this. The center gilt pattern can be key, but it's been years since I've studied this area - you could be looking at Coalport, Minton, Daniel, Alcock etc. Also it's mid 19th century, not 18th century date wise.

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

My first thought was Coalport with that green.

Chinoiserie, Lavrentii and johnnycb09 like this.
  6. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I would've expected a mark if it was Coalport. When I can't name something like your set, I usually say with some nonchalance, "Staffordshire factory, mid-19th c.":D

Chinoiserie likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

A great deal of mid nineteenth and earlier Coalport isn’t marked. I’ve had a bit. Identified by clever people on Facebook through colour, shape, body, pattern numbers and such.

kentworld and Chinoiserie like this.
  8. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

I have seen examples of Coalport plates with that 'snowflake' pattern in the centre.

kentworld likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

I think the cup shape is right, too.

Chinoiserie likes this.
  10. kentworld

Chinoiserie likes this.
  11. Chinoiserie

kentworld likes this.
  12. kentworld

Yes, the OP's. My bad!

Chinoiserie likes this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Someone’s just posted a marked Coalport set on one of my Facebook groups with exactly that snowflake. Calling it batwing 2665.

kentworld likes this.
  14. kentworld

Ah, batwing -- another term that has slipped through the holey net that is my aging brain!;)

15. Chinoiserie

I found a couple of green batwing cups and saucers a few years ago. Different sort of shape however. I never did fathom what part of the set 'batwing' actually referred to. Now I see it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225818375944

kentworld likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted