Porcelain container, Japanese? Small covered hole on top + small open hole: Sake?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by gimbler-dave, Oct 23, 2014.

1. gimbler-dave

gimbler-dave Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me the functional use of this piece? The main cylinder is just under 9 inches high, and is about 4-3/4 inches in diameter. There is a small open hole on the top, along with a larger covered hole. I've included a shot of the underside, but don't see any mark. Anyone know what this is for, and any guess as to its age? Thanks!
    db_japan2_01.JPG
    db_japan2_02.JPG
    db_japan2_03.JPG
    db_japan2_04.JPG

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I haven't a clue. At first thought possibly a kendi, but they seem to be a bulbous shape drinking type vessel. This is way too awkward for drinking.

"Kendi is a Malay word derived from the Sanskrit word kundika meaning container for liquids. This form of vessel is well known in Southeast Asia and the Middle East, and used on special occasions. Kendi were made in various materials such as gold, silver or porcelain. Chinese Porcelain examples were mainly produced towards the end of the sixteenth century, some of them in wonderful animal shapes such as ..."

"... served as a drinking vessel or a base for a water pipe, but was above all appreciated for its decorative qualities. Persian potters adopted the form from similar Chinese wares..."

The thought of an ink container with a small hole for dipping a pen or brush, but again that ornate top with the open hole so close to the handle makes it too impractical. The ink would dry out with that open hole, and too big for an individual ink/paint container. I'm not even sure if this is oriental or not. That handle area makes it too delicate for a particular purpose. I certainly will be watching this thread for an answer.

--- Susan

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  3. gimbler-dave

Thanks for your thoughts Susan. I've never seen anything like it. It came in to our store along with the "teapot" that is the subject of another thread. Although I believe that both are Japanese, they do not share any other characteristics that I can see.
    Dave

4. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

This item here is on a whole other level compared to your ewer. It's probably one of the finest Japanese pieces of ceramic I've ever seen someone post for an inquiry. Awesome, awesome piece!

IMO, this was probably made in the late Edo Period (18th/first half of the 19th C.) and appears to be in the Kakiemon-style. My guess, it's a stylized wine or water vessel. Very, very finely potted, decorated and enameled. A true piece of Japanese ceramic art at its best. Awesome piece!

You should probably have this item evaluated by an expert in Asian art, or reputable auction house such as Christie's, Sotheby's or the like.

Good luck with it. Just an awesome piece IMO. Congrats!

spirit-of-shiloh and cxgirl like this.
  5. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

The piece below, although different in age (second half of the 17th C.) form and decoration, its function (sake bottle) and stylized handle are very similar to your piece...

(Please note the handle's form..... a pine branch)
    SAKE.jpg

6. gimbler-dave

Thank you Nuff_Said - a great comparable with many similar features.

Draft saved Draft deleted