Porcelain Chocolate Pot signed Tartaglia?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Feb 12, 2022.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Board Friends - I help a friend of mine who runs an auction house identify items he has coming up that might be of value. I passed this one by thinking it was hobbyist until he called my attention to the signature. I can't read it very well but it looks like both the top and base are signed with the Initials JMJ and the bottom also has a script signature that I can't read very well. I think part of it says Tartaglia. A google search didn't turn up much of use. I told him I thought it was an old piece of German whiteware that a decorating firm bought then added the colors and signed it. He seems to think it was produced with the signature as he thinks it is embossed. The signature is under the glaze but I think it was glazed once by the manufacturer and then again by the decorator. I would appreciate your opinions. I don't expect it will sell for much either way but it did raise some curious questions. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you!
    Don

IMG_20220211_093157264.jpg IMG_20220211_093222643.jpg IMG_20220211_093258136.jpg IMG_20220211_093358991.jpg

Figtree3, Born2it, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@dgbjwc, I inverted the bottom signature, etc, and tried to fill in what looked like lines.....take what you can make of it or discard it....as I'm not sure what to make of it!! Interesting pitcher!!

IMG_20220211_093358991-A.jpg

3. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Figtree3, judy and dgbjwc like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted