Featured Porcelain Bisque Figurine Mystery Mark

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Hhalt13, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Hhalt13

Hhalt13 Member

porcelain4.jpg PORCELAINFIGURINE.jpg PORCELAINFIGURINE2.jpg PORCELAINFIGURINE1.jpg Hello!
    I recently thrifted these beautiful hand-painted, bisque porcelain figurines (measuring 17" in height). I have been attempting to research the mark and coming up empty. The figurines are marked at the base, "Paris Dec 1786" and "Paris Avz(?) 1787". I don't think these figurines are 18th century, but likely depicting French fashions from December and April (?) of 1786 and 1787. The underside of both pieces is embossed with an overlapping triangle and circle mark.

Any information on the age of these figurines and especially the mark would be much appreciated!

Thanks! -Heather

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2022
    Figtree3, johnnycb09 and judy like this.
  2. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I don't recognize the mark, if it is a maker's mark and not just a production mark, but these figurines were made at the turn of the 20th c and continental -- Germany, possibly Bohemia.

Figtree3 and Hhalt13 like this.
  3. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

Figtree3, Hhalt13 and kentworld like this.
  4. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Could be. However lots of factories would've made similar. Paris was the fashion capital of the world and much copied, so Paris incised on the figurine might be a nod to the fashion design, too.

Figtree3 and Hhalt13 like this.
  5. Hhalt13

Hhalt13 Member

Thank you for the info/insight!

6. Hhalt13

Hhalt13 Member

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Think it's AVL for Avril, April.

One more line & you'd have the mark of the Deathly Hallows!

KikoBlueEyes and Hhalt13 like this.
  8. Hhalt13

Hhalt13 Member

YESSSS, Way to work in a Harry Potter reference lol!! <3

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Lad

Lad New Member

Hello Heather! Did you ever find anything more about your figurines? I have the same two albeit painted in different colors. They were my grandmother's for as long as I can remember. I'd be interested to know if there is more info out there.

Thanks!

Lad

10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hello Lad, Heather has not been here since Dec 22.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted