Please identify this China teapot

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by PerJensen, Sep 22, 2018.

1. PerJensen

PerJensen New Member

Hi,

Any info on this teapot would be much appreciated! I have been looking everywhere for almost a year to no avail, and I am getting quite frustrated..

42440866_451054635300892_1770440756985593856_n.jpg 42381488_1910202899057469_762857346492792832_n.jpg 42306147_540475586380975_5313290761842720768_n.jpg 42291159_2040718655948358_7407218577138253824_n.jpg 42256235_234622740538580_2614436117373517824_n.jpg

Pat P likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, PerJensen! Your pot is not "china" but it is Chinese! The color and texture of the clay tell me it is Yixing pottery. It's really too bad that the lid has so many chips.

3. Bakersgma

4. PerJensen

PerJensen New Member

Thanks for reply, I appreciated it!. Of course, I meant Chinese. I'm sorry about that.. You say it's Yixing, what year is it from? Is there anything special about it? and is it worth anything?

i need help likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

I'm afraid that link is the limit of my knowledge. so I don't know when your pot was made. "Worth anything" is so subjective. ;) But now that you know what term to use in searching sales sites, you may get a better idea of what is selling and for how much. The damage to the lid could be a killer, but at least it does not show when the lid is on the pot. Good luck!

6. PerJensen

PerJensen New Member

Thank you, but I am very interested in knowing about this teapot. I would like to know more about the mark on the underneath of this teapot.

I can not find anything that corresponds the mark on the underneath from the teapot on this site http://www.gotheborg.com/marks/yixing.shtml

7. Bakersgma

I wish I knew more to tell you or had another site to link, but I don't. We may have other members who know more, though, so hang in there.

Perhaps @Asian Fever can help?

PerJensen and i need help like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME to the site, @PerJensen!! Can you give us the size of it???

I don't know anything about your teapot other than to say that I think it's very nice looking!!! And I do wish you luck in finding more information on it!!!

PerJensen likes this.
  9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I think a former member of Antiquers used to do very well with these teapots, but I don't know if all do well or just some. You might want to search the forum for old threads.

And welcome to Antiquers! :)

PerJensen and judy like this.
  10. Aquitaine

Unless you can get a sharper image of that inside mark on the lid, this is the best I can do in trying to contrast and enhance it and bring out other features.....not much luck......sorry......

zzzzDZGN IN LID.jpg

Attached Files:

i need help likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers, Per.

Here is another site with Yixing marks:
    http://litaxulingkelley.blogspot.com/p/yixing-teapot-makers-marks.html

The value of Yixing teapots lies in several things.
    One of them is the balanced shape, there should be a straight line from the handle to the top of the pot and the spout. If you were to put a ruler on top of these three, it should lie comfortably and be supported by all three.
    The lid should fit perfectly.
    Damage decreases the value.:oops:
    Collectible shapes.
    A good maker. It is often difficult to identify the maker, in the West we have to rely on records in books and on sites like the one Bakers and I mentioned.
    From the start it should have been treated in the proper way.

This is what @Asian Fever wrote in another thread:

"Another way to ID whether it is a traditional chinese tea pot:
    filled with hot water in the tea pot 1/2 to 2/3 full. hold this small hole with your finger and pour it. you will find when you hold it, it won't drip even a drop, when you lease your finger, water flows smoothly. However, when you hold that hole, it should stop immediately.

Good YiXing tea pot is very rare even in China, it should breath well, and for an old Yixing tea pot, the person who have it should "raise" it as a baby, use it for serving tea everyday and very gently. In Chinese culture, we say an old YiXing tea pot should has a spirit it accompany with the right person(who cares for it) for a long time."

12. PerJensen

PerJensen New Member

Image inside mark on the lid

42416702_2229628360441497_5571736484689477632_n.jpg

i need help likes this.
  13. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welccome to Antiquers Per!

i need help and PerJensen like this.
  14. Aquitaine

NICE new image of inside lid mark!!!!! Here's a better enlargement.....maybe it can help.....although yours is good!!! Just small!!!! The one on the left of mine has a lot of the "graininess" eliminated.....

zzzzUNDER LID MARK-2.jpg

PerJensen, Any Jewelry, judy and 2 others like this.
  15. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Your marks picture needs to go clockwise a quarter or more. The two characters on the right just say Yixing.

judy, Bakersgma and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful, Aqui.
    If it is on any of the sites posted, it would be this way around. It needs another little twist to straighten the marks, but you've got the idea.
    upload_2018-9-23_18-31-42.jpeg

Edit: oops, Janet set you straight just before I did.;)

17. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say “velkommen” to PerJensen. Per was my Dad’s name. :shame:

18. PerJensen

PerJensen New Member

Oh, sorry. Here's a bigger image. But thank you for taking the time to adjust the image, Aquitaine!.

42378254_278524752763251_821669063821361152_n.jpg

Aquitaine likes this.
  19. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

That's upside down. Don't you just love the whole photo posting experience?

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. Aquitaine

Better angle??? And you're most welcome, Per.....it's stuff I love to play at!!!:smuggrin::happy:

zzzzSINGLE LID MARK-2.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted