Please help with a vase - probably Chinese

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by IvaPan, Nov 13, 2022.

1. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Hi guys,
    Time has come to ask for some help.
    Recently I came by a ceramic vase with apparently Eastern pattern and although it is not in my core interest, I liked it so much that I bought it. Now I wonder what it is. It is adorned with red-crowned cranes among green foliage along the body and a lavish blue-white pattern decoration on the neck and at the bottom. There is just one mark visible, a circular red mark with Chinese characters (or Japanese).
    I will be very grateful if someone can help me identify the vase - Chinese or Japanese, approximate time of creation, anything.
    I looked in Google for Chinese circular marks but found nothing like mine. The only thing I was able to find was the motif - red-crowned cranes.

Thanks in advance for any help! chinavase2a.jpg chinesevase1a.jpg

antidiem likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'd think Japanese...with all those cranes...
    can we see the base ?

IvaPan likes this.
  3. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thanks, @komokwa! I was also thinking it looks more Japanese than Chinese. Later I will post the base.

komokwa likes this.
  4. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

The blue decoration is definitely not hand painted.
    For what it's worth, I'd say relatively modern and probably Japanese.

5. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

6. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Here is the base.
    Thanks, @15Stiftgasse! So let's bet on Japanese not Chinese.
    I did not expect it to be of much worth, just liked it. You know, sometimes you are driven to an object without any logical reason.

komokwa likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

in the immortal words of Mr. Spock.....
    "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting.It is not logical, but it is often true."

:playful::playful::playful:......;)

lvetterli and IvaPan like this.
  8. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

The mark appears to be Zhuanshu script which is Chinese (although it seems scrambled and I can't make it out). I do agree it certainly has Japanese style, so it's probably a Chinese made decorative item made in the Japanese taste.

IvaPan, janetpjohn and komokwa like this.
  9. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thank you so much @Ce BCA, very useful! I have no knowledge about Chinese art and culture, and so far had little interest in it, this item came to me by chance. Never too late to learn something, though :) Thanks again.

I googled "Zhuanshu script" and it really looks similar to the circular red mark writing on my vase. So your hypothesis is plausible.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted