Please help me identify 3 mold oil lamp

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Scolada, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Scolada

Scolada New Member

First I want to say hello and thank you for any help you can give. I am really stuck with identifying the maker of this lamp. Both pieces are 3 mold so I can date it. It is still attached by concrete and not glue, so I am assuming that how I have it is the way it was originally. The base is the real stumper and I am unable to confirm the maker. It is cobalt blue which I have only found 1 with a font. That person attributed it to Sandwich. I feel like I have found the holy grails long lost brother, because I cant find any answers. Before I go by every book written to see if anyone has written on it I thought I would ask the forums? Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks!

Attached Files:

KingofThings likes this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome! :)

Scolada likes this.
  3. Jen and George

Jen and George Well-Known Member

Have you checked in Thuro? I know she shows several Sandwich lamps. Plus, I haven't seen this book, A Guide to Sandwich GlassKerosene Lamps and AccessoriesBy Barlow, Raymond E., but it is available at my local library. I think there is a second volume too.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I'm not 100% sure for can't see the font pattern clear enough or enough of it, but the pattern may be "Grape Band" by Bryce, Walker and Co. of Pittsburgh. Bryce's "Grape Band" seems to have all the grape leaves alternating between pointed up and pointed down. If your leaves are all pointed down then probably isn't by Bryce, but possibly a variant of it. Bryce's "Grape Band" was patented by John Bryce on Oct. 19, 1869. Bryce also made tableware pieces in the same pattern. It was a mold-blown font. Bryce's "Grape Band" font is pictured in Thuro's "Oil Lamps," p. 95 on an Atterbury clear Prism design base and p. 173 on an iron stem. It is also pictured in Thuro's "Oil Lamps II," p. 28, on a grayish large Atterbury #40 Baroque base. Here is the patent:
    http://www.google.com/patents/USD3716

Glassware in Bryce's "Grape Band:"
    http://www.ebay.tv/sch/i.html?_odkw...+band.TRS0&_nkw=Bryce+grape+band&_sacat=50693

The scalloped base with reeded stem is called a Baroque base. This style of base came in many sizes and was made by such companies a Cape Cod Co. of Sandwich, Mt. Washington Glass Works, Atterbury & Co. as well as other mid-west companies like Atterbury. I haven't a clue if yours was made by any of these companies or by whomever. Do look as the bottom of the base for any number or letter. Some of these bases were marked.

Your lamp has a common brass connector and not the noted Atterbury threaded connector. I can't see enough of the collar to determine it's time frame.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

--- Susan

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Is that a whale oil lamp?

6. Ladybranch

> Plus, I haven't seen this book, A Guide to Sandwich Glass Kerosene Lamps and Accessories By Barlow, Raymond E., but it is available at my local library. I think there is a second volume too.<

Barlow and Kaiser's A Guide to Sandwich Glass: Kerosene Lamps and Accessories shows several examples of these pressed Baroque bases, but none with this font or in this particular blue color. A couple of pics say the base could have been made by the Cape Cod Glass Company or Boston and Sandwich Glass Company as well as "Be aware that since 1920 reproduction bases have been available on the market." At least a couple of the pics with this style base have the same common brass connector. Also do note connectors, collars and burners could be replacements; however, connectors and collars are least likely to be replaced while burners are most likely be replacements.

The 2nd volume of the Guide is for ...: Whale Oil Lamps and Accessories. It has no pictures of the Baroque base or this font.

Barlow & Kaiser's The Glass Industry in Sandwich, Vol 2, contents lamps, does not have this glass pattern font, but like the Guide does show several examples of the Baroque style bases.

> Is that a whale oil lamp? <

No, I doubt it because by the early 1850s kerosene was fuel of choice. Whale oil lamps timeframe was from 1700s to c1830s, burning fuel lamps from 1830s to late 1840s and kerosene (coal oil, petroleum) from early 1850s to electric.

--- Susan

Scolada and Jen and George like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Just a slightly edited picture (hopefully no offense taken!) so the colors of the cobalt are better showing the pattern!
    Sue

Attached Files:

Scolada likes this.
  8. Scolada

Scolada New Member

No the bottom of the base is not marked at all! Would any of you know if the design of the brass fitting in the middle was also widely used between them all or would they have been company specific? Thanks everyone for your help!

9. Ladybranch

> Would any of you know if the design of the brass fitting in the middle was also widely used between them all or would they have been company specific? <

That "brass fitting in the middle" is called a connector for it connects the font to the stem/base. Very few oil lamp makers made everything from the glass, brass fittings and bases/stems. Also very few of the makers of connectors are know. One example that made the whole lamp is Atterbury. They made fonts, bases and a connector. Do note they used many different connectors that they didn't make. The Atterbury brothers famous threaded screw socket connector patented in 1868 was used on lamps manufactured by Atterbury & Co. These screw connectors were used with peg fonts. Yours appears to be a peg font also. In 1891 Hobbs Glass Co. patented a screw socket connector after the Atterbury patent ran out. I have seen many lamps by different companies with your style of connector.

Here is the Atterbury screw socket connector. Need to scroll down the page to see the pics:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-LOTUS-Pattern-Kerosene-Oil-Lamp-Atterbury-Screw-Stem-Gem-Base-/360712014230?nma=true&si=%2F7vKWUJ4932E4vXXCHDoX1Wv%2F3I%3D&
    orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Here is an Atterbury lamp with the same type connector as on your lamp:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/c1860-Atter...-Punty-Star-/262001813683?hash=item3d008668b3

The Sandwich glass books had pics of your style base/stem with similar connectors to yours.

There were several bass companies that supplied the many lamp and/or glass companies with brass trimmings from burners to connectors. A couple of them were the Plume & Atwood Mfg. (P&A) and the Manhattan Brass Co. The majority of the brass mills/companies were located in Naugatuck Valley of Connecticut. Also there were lamp assembly companies that bought font, bases, brass fittings and burners from different companies.

I just noticed that the link to other "Grape Band" glassware in my 1st reply doesn't go to where I thought it would. Here's another, hope it works.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...e+Band".TRS0&_nkw=glass+"Grape+Band"&_sacat=0

--- Susan

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    Figtree3 and Scolada like this.
  10. Ladybranch

Taking a closer look at the brightened pic Aquitaine/Sue edited, I don't think the glass pattern is Bruce's "Grape Band." I now think it's the EAPG pattern "Grapes with Overlapping Foliage" by Hobbs, Brickunier and Co., patented 1870. Hobbs's pattern has the grapes and leaves hanging down from a vine with all the leaves pointing down. Here's an example of the pattern.

Scroll down to the 13th row:
    http://patternglass.com/Store/Goblets/index.htm

--- Susan

Figtree3 and Scolada like this.
  11. Scolada

Scolada New Member

Ok so you guys are awesome! I just cant thank you enough for the help! Looks like you have nailed the pattern and maker! Thank you thank you thank you!

Draft saved Draft deleted