Please help me date this picture + frame

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Grandmasattic, Jan 5, 2023.

1. Grandmasattic

Grandmasattic Active Member

I found what appears to be a very very old picture in its original frame. Appears to be a painting. I would like to know a little more about when ya'll think it could be from PXL_20230105_140550466~2.jpg PXL_20230105_140555524~2.jpg

pearlsnblume and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

komokwa and Grandmasattic like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yours is a modern decorative piece. The painting is a copy of 'Vigée Le Brun Self-Portrait with her Daughter.' (This information is written faintly on the back in pencil.) The original was painted in 1789. Here's another like yours found on the internet. The frames of these types of works are typically bone. There are other threads here about similar miniatures.

Debora

1800s-antique-miniature-portrait_1_8da3648f072852de77340f4e5256025d.jpg

Born2it, komokwa, Figtree3 and 3 others like this.
  4. Grandmasattic

I suppose that didn't come as a huge shock. Having it not be original. A little disappointed though :(

I was wondering what the pencil markings were, thank you for clarifying that for me!

Born2it likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

6. Grandmasattic

That is a beautiful painting. I was doing a little reading about it. Very cool piece!

johnnycb09 likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

9. Grandmasattic

Thank you for showing me those threads!

Born2it, komokwa and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted