Please Help Identify This Chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Panserbjorne, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Panserbjorne

Panserbjorne New Member

Hi, I was told this was an antique. I wanted to see if anyone had any idea who the manufacturer was and any other info on it. Is it worth restoring? Could be my first fun restoration project. =) Thanks!
    [​IMG][/IMG] 20150920_161812.jpg 20150920_161836.jpg 20150920_161907.jpg 20150920_161812.jpg 20150920_161836.jpg 20150920_161907.jpg
    [​IMG][/IMG] [​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It's worth restoring...but the value for resale would not be there,,

3. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, there are probably other cities in the State of Washington which might "match" the label, but it looks to me like the "city" name ends in an "ma" making me think it might be Yakima, Washington.

I wonder if there was/is either a manufacturer or furniture store in Yakima, Washington, which made or sold the chair. With the words "fin[ish]" and "grade" so prominent on the label it might be the manufacturer/factory label.

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Circa 1910 dining chair. Need better pics to tell the wood for sure but it kind of looks like poplar.

Panserbjorne likes this.
  5. Panserbjorne

Panserbjorne New Member

Great thanks. I was thinking either Tacoma or Yakima. I'll keep searching for info.

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Also (and perhaps more) likely Tacoma, yourturn.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  7. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Bakersgma, thanks for reminding me about Tacoma (and after I've flown into and out of Sea-Tac a couple of times too :shame:).

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Northwest Chair Co, Tacoma Washington

Copied from a Kovel column
    Q: We have a rocking chair that has been in my husband’s family for about 60 years. It’s Craftsman-style and has armrests. It also has the original leather seat cushion with springs. The bottom of the seat reads, “Northwest Chair Co., Tacoma, Wash.” What do you think it’s worth?

A: The Northwest Chair Co. made furniture in South Tacoma from about 1900 to the 1950s. In the mid-1920s, they opened distribution warehouses in Los Angeles and Berkeley, Calif. An advertisement claimed the company made “bedroom, children’s, dining room, kitchen, library and store chairs made of ash, birch, mahogany, oak and walnut.” The company also made airplane parts for Boeing in 1944. We’ve seen a similar Morris-type rocking chair priced at $100.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/antiques-by-terry-and-kim-kovel-20140906

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

In other words, nice chair that isn't selling for much. I'd fix it up a bit and put it back to work. It looks like the finish is already off, so I might just varnish it and leave bad enough alone. You could also go a little mad painting it and sell it as upcycled.

Panserbjorne likes this.
  10. Panserbjorne

Panserbjorne New Member

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

edit:in response to clutteredcloset's great ID.

11. Panserbjorne

Panserbjorne New Member

This may be sacrilege, but wife wants it painted white with "Tiffany" blue polka dots. lol Well, it's her find. I was just going to sand and varnish it but she's the boss! We'll probably keep it as just something cool/interesting to have around. Thanks for all the help folks!

12. evelyb30

That wouldn't be my first choice either, but "Happy wife, happy life" as it were. Since the finish is already gone and it's a factory piece, you can't hurt it.

Panserbjorne likes this.
  13. komokwa

Paint the chair.......when she want's the bedroom painted lavender with pink flowers & cherubs.......put your foot down !!:shifty:

Panserbjorne likes this.
  14. evelyb30

...then get the drop cloths out...

15. komokwa

Draft saved Draft deleted