Please help identify: artist, title, aprox value

Discussion in 'Art' started by Douglas Tracy, Dec 2, 2021.

1. Douglas Tracy

Douglas Tracy New Member

Thanks for any help you can send my way. Cheers.

Attached Files:

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You'll have to provide a bit more information, Douglas. Where did you get it? What were you told about it? Could/would you post photographs of the work both front and back including frame? Could/would you post a good quality close-up photograph of the signature? In the meantime, I've taken the liberty of reposting your photograph as Full Image so it's easier for all to see.

Debora

Malva 79 (5794).jpg

kyratango likes this.
  3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I think it's decorative art only.

4. Douglas Tracy

Douglas Tracy New Member

I bought it at a thrift shop in Miami, the signature says Malva 79 and on the back there is a number 5794. From the very rough research I have done, I believe that the artist is Omar Hamdi Malva however I am not sure. The frame is very heavy and in perfect condition. Any help you can provide is much appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files:

5. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I’m guessing you have the right artist. Seems like he is very prolific. Auction estimates are very modest in the few hundred dollar range. Maybe someone can chase down an actual result for you.

6. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Boland likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree that someone named Malva sure churned out a lot of paintings. Most appear to be copies of Impressionist works or inspired by Impressionist works. (His 'Misting Pond Reflections' with its water lilies, for instance, reminds me of someone, someone... Just can't quite put my finger on who.) As most of his works have been sold by the same handful of auction houses, I would be highly doubtful that there is a genuine market, beyond decorative, for his work.

Debora

Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 5.32.31 AM.png

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A little trick of the artist's. He takes a masterwork and then crops and simplifies.

In this example he even flopped.

Debora

Red-Water-Lilies-1914-1917.jpg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    Bakersgma likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

In this example, he cropped, removed figures and adjusted the perspective slightly. The heavily lifting, as above, was done by Monet.

Debora

H20980-L218609901.jpeg

poppies.jpg

komokwa and kyratango like this.
  10. David Broom

David Broom Active Member

In my opinion the quality of this artwork is way way below that of Omar Hamdi. Authentic works by him are often brilliant and can sell for thousands of $.

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Would/could you give us an example please?

Debora

12. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

13. David Broom

David Broom Active Member

If you google – omar hamdi kurdistan art blogspot – the first result contains a lot of images of his work. I’m not posting a link because it has a ‘Not Secure’ tag. Towards the bottom of the images are some of his landscapes which I think are massively better than the one we’re discussing here. Hamdi is an important modern artist imv, particularly the earlier abstract work.

Draft saved Draft deleted