Please help ID wood chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Happy!, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

I am guessing this is a rather common chair and with the crack/repair in the seat, not worth much.

But, was Grandpa's, so want it to go to a relative. How would you describe this chair?

-4 slat back?
    -Oak?
    -6 boards used for the seat, how would you describe that, "6 plank"?
    -Flathead screws mean what?
    -What era? 1930s or earlier?
    -Is there a term for how the seat boards were joined? (see last 2 lightened pics)
    P1030716.JPG P1030719.JPG P1030720.JPG P1030715.JPG P1030717 b.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Tongue and groove on the seat boards. And it does look like oak. Can't help you with any of the other questions, though.

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not really any particular historical style to peg to this. It is a simple oak kitchen chair in a vernacular style. It is 20th century and could have been made most any time. Most likely pre-WWII.

afantiques likes this.
  4. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

Baker's-that's it, I could not for the life of me, think of that for some reason
    Brad-Thanks, that helps too!

Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  5. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Typical mass-produced, minimalistic arts and crafts style, utilitarian office- furniture. Found in many a catalog of the period. c. 1900-1920.

6. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

Interesting, I would never have thought this was related to the Arts and Crafts style, learning more every day. See why I am "curious" << ?

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I can see how it could be termed as minimalistic arts and crafts or mission style with those flat back slats. However, I would just call it a utilitarian form. Flat back slats were used in chair backs long before the arts and crafts movement.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted