Featured Please help ID this ancient vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Pottery Lou, Apr 1, 2023.

1. Pottery Lou

Pottery Lou New Member

Hello,
    Can anyone help me ID this piece of pottery?
    It stands about 6-3/4" tall X 6-1/2" diameter.
    It had three feet at one time but they are gone with the sands of time.
    When I tap the pot it has a dull thud, which tells me that it was fired in a low temperature kiln.
    I'd like to know the origin, age and approximate value.
    Thanks

IMG_1139.JPG IMG_1140.JPG IMG_1139.JPG IMG_1140.JPG IMG_1141.JPG IMG_1142.JPG IMG_1143.JPG IMG_1144.JPG IMG_1145.JPG

2. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

I'd say Mexican, but I'm not sure that helps all that much as there are many different ceramic traditions in Mexico.

Where'd ya find it?

Roaring20s, johnnycb09 and komokwa like this.
  3. Pottery Lou

Pottery Lou New Member

Thanks, it was my grandfather's.

4. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

The fluted rim, the three legs, and the Mayan-looking figures are all consistent Mexican pottery. The old colors on the bottom do indeed look old, but on the other hand there are lots and lots of more recent reproductions, and not necessarily meant to be 'fakes,' but to be one's people can actually reasonably access and buy.

Pottery Lou, pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  5. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

The dull thud may just indicate a crack or in this case missing foot. I check crocks for cracks by tapping them. If it is a thud then i look closely for even a hairline crack. A "ring" usually means no cracks.

Pottery Lou and tie.dye.cat like this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think this is one you will have to have an expert look at. It doesn't scream fake, as so many we see here, but who knows? The incised decoration like this is not something we usually see in pre-Columbian pottery. Should help to pin this down.

Pottery Lou and Potteryplease like this.
  7. Pottery Lou

Pottery Lou New Member

8. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

A dull thud can also just indicate earthenware. Porcelain and bone china ring. Earthenware is more of a clunk.

Potteryplease likes this.
  9. Pottery Lou

Pottery Lou New Member

10. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Potteryplease and Bakersgma like this.
  11. Pottery Lou

Pottery Lou New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted