Featured Plea for Help: Art Nouveau Iridescent Crackle Vase Silver Frame Stamped Double Headed Eagle MH

Discussion in 'Silver' started by GoodEyeGifts, May 6, 2017.

1. GoodEyeGifts

GoodEyeGifts Artist, Dancer, and Antiquer

(This is a composite piece so I am going to have to post this in two forums for help.)

I just inherited from my mother an antique vase. The vase is comprised of both glass and silverplated metal. The glass is a golden mustard yellow color with a light iridescent sheen and a crackle texture. The silverplated framework is clearly Art Nouveau and stamped with a double-headed eagle on a horizontal oval cartouche background. The eagle has a crown above its head and is holding a scepter in one claw and an orb in the other. On either side of the eagle is marked M H. The overall structure including the silver framework is 12.25 inches (31.1 cm) tall and 7.25 inches (18.4 cm) wide. (The height of the glass by itself measures 10.5 inches or 26.7 cm respectively).

I have an idea of where the silversmith may have originated but before I disclose my own thoughts, I would like to hear other people's assessments. I have no idea who the glass maker is or where the glass comes from. I also do not know if the glass and the silverframe come from the same maker or whether the silversmith obtained the glass vase separately and incorporated it into their design.

1. Can anyone help with the following questions:
    2. Who is the maker of this vase? (Or who is the maker of the glass vase and who is the maker of the silverplated framework?)
    3. Where did it come from?
    4. What year do you think it would be?
    5. Does anyone know of a good certified appraiser in the Washington DC metropolitan area? (This would include DC, Virginia, Maryland, West Virginia.)
    6. In your personal opinion, what would you value it at?

Thanks to all who can help.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      38.1 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      43.1 KB
      Views:
    • 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      43.1 KB
      Views:
    • 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      File size:
      42.2 KB
      Views:
    • 8.JPG
      8.JPG
      File size:
      41.7 KB
      Views:
    • 10.JPG
      10.JPG
      File size:
      55.3 KB
      Views:
  2. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Responded on your other thread, Loetz glass with Moritz Hacker mounts.

GoodEyeGifts and judy like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That's beautiful! And as for value? "inherited from my mother" = Priceless!

(I know that's not the kind of value you were looking for, but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. ;) )

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

boy , do i have a lot of priceless items .....:hilarious:

pearlsnblume, SBSVC and judy like this.
  5. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

That is one drop dead gorgeous piece!!! :happy::happy::happy:

...& I agree with Bakersgma. ;):p:rolleyes::D:D:D:D

6. GoodEyeGifts

I can identify with that sentiment!

7. GoodEyeGifts

AND THE AWARD GOES TO....Anundverkaufen!

Anundverkaufen, you are correct on the maker. With your help I was able to track down proof and verify this vase to be of great value. (Due in part because both the glassmaker and silversmith are highly sought after.) At first I had trouble verifying your answer because Moritz pieces are so rare, what ones were available almost never had photos of the hallmark, and what hallmark photos were available varied in style so widely. But because you answered so quickly and unflinchingly, your confidence spurred me on to persevere until I found an item that gave undeniable proof. Below is another Moritz/Loetz combination vase that I found. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/A-MORITZ-HAC...U-IRIDESCENT-CRACKLE-GLASS-VASE-/251665753413
    THANK YOU ANUNDVERKAUFEN!

And thanks so much to everyone else who took the time to view my post, help me out in what way they could, and generally support me as I struggled through this detective work. THANKS EVERYONE!

Attached Files:

Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  8. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Wow, that is one beautiful vase!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted