Pippo Giovane Clay Sculptures

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, Aug 4, 2016.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Kind of cool pieces. Not a lot of them for sale on the secondary market.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Is that made of resin or clay? I'm sorry but I cannot tell from the pictures.

3. kardinalisimo

4. kardinalisimo

Another question, I see a fisherman, a man eating bread, cheese and holding wine bottle and a man carrying vessels. What is the one on the fire doing?
    [​IMG]

5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

It looks like he might be pouring something hot into a mold. Maybe glass? i can't see the impressions on the ground too well. Do they look like bottles?
    Don

6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

You might want to put a call out to Walter. If anyone would know more about the artist it would be him.
    Don

7. Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter Del Pellegrino Well-Known Member

Giovane is a native of Caltagirone in Sicily. He is in his seventies but still active. His address is: 500, Via Strada Statale 417, KM.20, Caltagirone.
    Telephone: +39 0933 24301

Giovane, like most of his fellow artist in Sicily works in terra-cotta. This red clay is essentially used for flower pots and roof tiles. It is a very heavy clay that is not suitable for modern production. The tradition of using terra-cotta in making small mold made figurines dates back to the Greek Hellenistic colonists. These pieces are referred to as Coroplast

8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Thanks Walter Del Pellegrino

Draft saved Draft deleted