Featured Pine needle bottle

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Potteryplease, Sep 14, 2024 at 7:22 PM.

1. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Found this today. I have no evidence that it's tribal, but it could be. I can't find anything online like it.

The bottle: It's clear glass, 11.5" / 29cm tall, and flares slightly inward halfway down the straight sides. It has a seam, so was not hand made. The mouth has intermittent straight threads for the (missing) cap (ie, the threads are not angled down for tightening). Perhaps this can help date the bottle itself.

The weaving: pine needles, with some sort of glue or shellac on them to make them hard and durable. There is a small amount of 'play' between the basket / weaving and the bottle itself, suggesting it has expanded over time. Wear on the bottom is less than I might otherwise expect, since it seems older. There's darkened dust on the top portion of the weaving.

Any help identifying where or when this might have come from will be much appreciated!

IMG_1679.jpeg IMG_1680.jpeg IMG_1681.jpeg IMG_1682.jpeg IMG_1683.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2024 at 10:46 PM
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

can't say I know...... but as the saying goes.... " you can't put old weaving , over a new bottle " !

and that's as nice a pine needle weave....as I've ever seen !

Any Jewelry, cxgirl and Potteryplease like this.
  3. Potteryplease

Wow--- I love hearin' that! Thank you.

Any Jewelry, cxgirl and komokwa like this.
  4. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

It is nicely done. I've seen a lot of basket-covered bottles, of various origins, but never one covered with pine-needles.

5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I have seen shellac coatings on Teneriffe style pine needle baskets, and I suspect it has been used since the 19th century. But I have not seen coiled pine needles done over a bottle before. It is particularly nice how the weaver has aligned the fascicles/caps of the needles to form the swirling vertical lines. More often the fascicles are removed for a smoother surface, as was done on the bottom of the bottle.

6. Potteryplease

And then there's this one:

IMG_1703.png

Any Jewelry, 2manybooks and komokwa like this.
  7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Add it to your collection!

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Draft saved Draft deleted