Featured Pine needle basket

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by verybrad, Mar 21, 2024.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This large pine needle basket is a recent thrift store acquisition. See some similar listed as Coushatta. Can this be verified or is there a different origin? Have had some small similar baskets but this is a whopping 10" diameter and 7" tall.

pinebasket.jpg pinebasket2.jpg

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The form looks similar to these baskets made by Lorena Langley, a Coushatta weaver -
    Coushatta baskets by Lorena Langley.jpg
    https://64parishes.org/entry/cousha...al,other materials became increasingly scarce.

But it can be difficult to accurately attribute pine needle baskets unless they are signed or tagged in some way, or you have purchased them from the maker. The combination of a pine needle foundation and raffia stitching seems to be a 20th century innovation, and a craft produced by Indigenous and non-Indigenous weavers alike.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I concur.....
    a basket , I would not pass up ...

4. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Yes; the technique apparently originated in the Canary Islands (see "Tenerife baskets") and was later adopted by a number of Native American tribes, mostly in Florida or Louisiana. One could say it is not a traditional basketry style...but after a couple hundred years, it would seem to have become traditional by adoption perhaps. And for quite a few years, instructions and kits to make this style basket have been widely available, and many are made by non-native craftspersons. So if you have provenance (Like I've got a few naming the maker and their tribe) then it is native-made...but many lack provenance and cannot be definitely said to be native.

5. verybrad

Picked up this much smaller basket a day or so after the first one at the same thrift. Have just now been able to photograph. This one is signed, Gloria Walker (I believe). Can not find any info on her.
    pineneedbasket.jpg
    pineneedbasket2.jpg

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

judy, verybrad, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  7. verybrad

Thank you!

anundverkaufen, judy and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted