Pine needle basket with beads

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by verybrad, Mar 8, 2018.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I know that many of the pine needle baskets out there are not native American. What about this one? the use of fabric and beads is a bit different. What is the deal with incorporating cardboard? Age? About 5" diameter. P1010017.JPG P1010018.JPG P1010019.JPG

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Hummmm !!

Looks new..or newer....but the beads and upholstery fabric...look older......but the cardboard backing is newer.....
    to me...it's an oddity....
    Maybe @Taupou has some idea....or @Bdigger could shed some light on this mystery.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Reminds me of some Chippewa sweetgrass baskets...

~Cheryl

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

This is just my guess........Looks newer to me too. I think it may be a memorial basket made by a hobbyist, meaning that the fabric may be sentimental like from grandma's favorite rocking chair or something, sewn onto cardboard to stop it from sagging into the basket. The bead work is not the best, can't really tell what it is supposed to represent ( maybe a flower?). I would expect more from a NA maker.
    The basket itself, is well done. Patterning the stitching isn't easy. All that said.......this is just a guess on my part.

5. verybrad

Hadn't thought about an old piece of fabric being incorporated in to a newer basket. The basket itself was pretty dirty and the fabric a bit frayed at the edges so this is not brand new, though could certainly accept that it is not as old as the fabric. Think the fabric to be pretty sun faded but it could have been that way when incorporated.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Bdigger

Brad.......If I had to guess age I would put it 50 s or 60 s. leaning more toward 60s based on the beads.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. verybrad

Kind of what I was thinking. Fabric is more like 40's?

8. Bdigger

I think the fabric may be older than that. I was thinking 20's or earlier BWDIK?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Well , if the basket had atmospheric age to it.....someone cleaned it up !!

Draft saved Draft deleted