picasso cross??

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Irenka, Dec 28, 2022.

1. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

Hey you all,
    i am hoping that you all are having a great holidays!

Do some one of you remember my saint Andrew that i post some weeks ago ?

This cross came to us with the saint Andrew, and may i say that because of beauty and fascination that came with it, we almost forgot about this cross...

Both pieces were in the family of the lady who sold them to us. As I said at St. Andrew, her grandfather was an architect, both pieces are said to have come with him from work. She only told us that her grandfather claimed that the cross was Gothic... I honestly don't know if it seems Gothic to me... but she couldn't say anything more about it, not even where her grandfather got it, he worked as an architect during the time of Austro-Hungarian era.

So my question to you all is...what do you think about it? Can you guess how old it is?

It is fairly "primitive" made, the face have some Picasso features in my opinion ( i know it is not from Picasso or anything like that but you know what i am thinking about :D)...it seems that it was polychromed back in the days... and my man who is dealing with our resavrations on wood, says that the wood looks very old to him, because of how dry it is and the other thing is that who ever made it did not use any nails, just wooden pins that you can see on the pictures...

I was in a museum here in the capital, where they mainly have religious pieces and i didn't found any thing that would be similar to this...

My guess is that it is at least 100 years old, on the fact that it was with the family so long... but could it really be gothic? I am a little perplex because the saint Andrew is original, so could be a cross too ?

I am not holding my breath for it being gothic but i am really interested if some of you have any thoughts or ideas on this one, and for any thougts i will be very grateful! Even if you have just an idea how to continue my search to find truth on this one.

Measurements: 42 x 30 x 9 cm / 16,5 x 11,8 x 3,5 inch

Thank you all !
    DSC_5605 (Small).JPG DSC_5616 (Small).JPG DSC_5620 (Small).JPG DSC_5627 (Small).JPG DSC_5632 (Small).JPG DSC_5633 (Small).JPG DSC_5637 (Small).JPG DSC_5638 (Small).JPG DSC_5639 (Small).JPG

Attached Files:

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

For unknown reasons the search engine here worked for me today, it usually doesn't. All of the sculptured figurines you've posted appear to me to be of Spanish origin. I didn't read the threads (or read them again), I'm sure much was added to the comments since last I saw them..

Draft saved Draft deleted